By KMROYALShottie - 27/05/2009 04:50 - United States

Today, I was taking out the trash and I came upon a bill from a veterinary hospital. It was for $50 and it was a bill to put my dog down. My Dad said my dog was missing and I put hundreds of signs around the city. FML
I agree, your life sucks 68 885
You deserved it 2 902

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ChelsiGotSpunk 0

Aw, dude that sucks. Your dad is a bitch.

Wow, I can't find the appropriate words for your dad...so I just say: Whatever bad happens to him in life, he will totally deserve it.

Comments

Sorry! WTF, maybe he was protecting you from the hurt of knowing that your dog was put down as compared to him getting lost. Trust me i know. My first dog was lost and that gives you more closure to a certain degree, than willingly making that decision to put him down. You found that bill by mistake so that's what complicates this issue. Had you not found it you would never have known the truth. But now that you have, don't be angry with you dad. There must've been a very valid reason. In any case, euthanasia should be a family decision. Sorry :-(

What the **** is wrong with your dad? He just doesn't kill animals. And not dogs. Not yours.

butter_flew 0

Was your dog old or sick? There might be more to the story. But I agree, that totally sucks.

Wait why is everyone flaming the dad? I immediately took the story as the dog was sick and needed to be put down, but the dad didn't want to break the news to OP that way and told him that he was lost instead. This happens all the time when parents don't want their kids to see their pet being put down. Am I totally reading this wrong? The dog had to have been sick for the vet to put it down. Either way, FYL, and sorry for your loss.

I don't think dogs get put down unless they're sick, you can't just go and say "this dog is a pain in the ass" and have the vet give it a shot. But your Dad should have talked with you about your dog rather than just getting it put down and not telling you. My Dad told me why my dog had to be put down and I was only 7, you are surely old enough to understand if a 7 year old can.

LordMinion 9

Legally they can, most vets won't, but some will. There's a story circulating up in CT around where I live about a woman who has gone to the vet not once, but twice, and had a perfectly healthy dogs put to sleep. One because he "had diarrhea" and another because "He was chewing on his toys too fast and choking on the pieces ". This was found out when a rescue group that I volunteer for did a vet reference check while she was applying to get ANOTHER dog. She lied and said she had only had an older dog that had died of natural causes (Both were under 18 months!). But the vet in question is quickly losing business because the lady walked in with two perfectly healthy dogs, and wound up having them put to sleep for no good reason. Not saying this was the case, but it DOES happen!

Yulia_fml 0

#18, the kicker is that OP posted all those flyers to find the lost dog. It's messed up of the dad not to tell his son the truth once he realized how determined he was to find the dog.

I'm agreeing with #18. You don't put dogs down unless they're ill, so it's likely that the dad was just protecting the OP from the hurt of knowing the dog was too old / sick. FYL. And #19, it might not necessarily be not understanding why the dog has to be put down, more that some people see their pets as part of the family, and it'd be upsetting to have it die.

Do you always go through the garbage before you take it outside? That must be very time consuming and dirty.

Quiet, #23, going through people's garbage makes him feel good.