By EMT_Koulianos - 25/05/2009 15:14 - United States

Today, I was performing CPR on a woman on her floor while her internal defibrillator kept firing, making her whole body jump. When it fired, her hand went straight up into my nuts. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 121
You deserved it 4 089

Same thing different taste

Top comments

heyyou1203 0

:-( sorry dude, you were doing a great deed and you got injured. I'd still give you a pat on the back though.

AICD's have been around for a long time. they work the same as the pads, sending massive wattage across your heart and will cause a convulsion in the limbs. go google it ffs.

Comments

So did she make it? If so, this is funny and eff your life, I guess. If she died you're kind of a dick for posting this here.

I hope she survived. Sure getting grabbed like that sucks, but... if you saved a life, then you are a very very cool man.

kneegrow143 0

Congrats, you saved a fellow human beings life! That punch in the nuts is just karmas twisted way of letting you know you're in for something really good in the future.

#57 - If it is an internal defib, ABSOLUTELY they should be doing CPR. Just because it's firing does NOT mean the person has a pulse. If a person doesn't have a pulse, that means they're clinically dead, and you should be doing CPR. The only time you don't do CPR and an EXTERNAL defib is involved is when the pads are on the patient, whoever is shocking says "clear", and you step away from the patient. Then immediately resume CPR withOUT checking a pulse. Those are the new AHA guidelines. So as an EMT or medic, there's no longer the three stacked shocks and check the rhythm. You very well could be doing CPR on someone with a pulse, and that is what AHA recommends. Refer to the algorithm #38 posted. Now to explain rhythms. The internal defib will fire when the heart is in two rhythms, Vfib and Vtach (there's also a rythym called Torsades, but let's take baby steps). Vtach looks like this VVVVVVVV, and it COULD have a pulse. Vfib looks like this VvVvvvVVvVVv and will NOT have a pulse. (Please don't critize my poor attempt to illustrate the rhythms! It's the best thing I could think of). Neither of these are life sustaining rhythms. And after you shock someone, they can come back into a VERY "ugly" rhythm that may or may not have a pulse. That is part in response to #64. In Vtach and Vfib, the heart isn't exactly "beating". It's more spasming.

THTB 3

Defibrillator...Wins! NUTSHOT-TALITY!

twindaddy 0

That's not one of the perks of the job??

bandgeek24601 0

thanks for working in a field that helps save lives! unfortunate that had to happen to you though.

shnibz101 0

Roflmao the same thing kinda happened to me today. I was playing catch with my friend with A football and he threw the ball a bit high so I jumped( I got springs, I can jump my own hight) So when I jumped to catch the ball I jumed to high and it hit me in the groin. He threw the ball as hard as he could. Dude that sucks. What happened to her? And did you think of this? Many she was faking so she could molest you!?!?!? But still dude you did a good thing and that's what u should be proud of forget that you got Molested!

shnibz101 0

Roflmao the same thing kinda happened to me today. I was playing catch with my friend with A football and he threw the ball a bit high so I jumped( I got springs, I can jump my own hight) So when I jumped to catch the ball I jumed to high and it hit me in the groin. He threw the ball as hard as he could. Dude that sucks. What happened to her? And did you think of this? Many she was faking so she could molest you!?!?!? But still dude you did a good thing and that's what you should be proud that you saved a life! And forget that you got molested!