By hemiol - 09/08/2016 23:05 - Norway

Today, I was, once again, yelled at by multiple tourists because I don't speak their language, even though they could neither speak English or Norwegian. They also yelled at me for not accepting Euros. Norway is not a part of the European Union. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 652
You deserved it 1 437

hemiol tells us more.

Because I do understand some of the languages of the tourists who usually come through. I usually get by with a couple of words here and there, some Norwegian and English, but some tourists just don't bother to even try. Usually it's fine, and everybody's happy, but every day I meet at least one asshat who turns to yelling in stead of being a bit patient.

Top comments

What I do wonder, is how do you know what they yelled at you for if you don't speak their language?

Comments

time to take a holiday to their country

What I do wonder, is how do you know what they yelled at you for if you don't speak their language?

perhaps op got a translator or could understand very little of the language

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when someone's yelling at them

Because I do understand some of the languages of the tourists who usually come through. I usually get by with a couple of words here and there, some Norwegian and English, but some tourists just don't bother to even try. Usually it's fine, and everybody's happy, but every day I meet at least one asshat who turns to yelling in stead of being a bit patient.

Yeah, and it gets quite frustrating - I would never go to Spain, for instance, and yell at them for not speaking Norwegian. Or English.

I thought yelling is an universal language.

Leprekhaun 14

sorry music and smiles are universal

I'm sorry about that!!! they really do need to be patient.

Yeah it appears even sensible people turn crazy during holidays my personal favour was a guest at the hotel I'm working at that wanted to complaint to their agent as they never been notified that hot air balloon rides are not suited for people with fear of heights

Could it be that they were frustrated over not being able to speak your language(s) rather than being upset with you?

I feel that same way about Mexicans. i wouldn't got to Mexico and expect them to know English just like I wouldn't expect and American to have to cater to them and speak Spanish fluently because they didn't bother to learn the language the high majority of the country speaks

#55 Why didn't the white settlers bother to learn the Native American languages when they first came and were way out numbered? Americans should be speaking Cherokee or something instead of English now, by that logic.

Just invent your own language and scream it back at them.

Not really, because I have those as well. I've had people turn around in a huff because I don't speak German...

snarkytruth 37

They already don't understand his real language- Norwegian so why would he need to make up a fake one ? Besides it being childish he wouldn't keep his job very long treating customers like that. Too many tourists think their holiday money justifies or requires them to be catered to by hand and foot. Shame Op but take heart we aren't all like that.

I know :) most tourists are sweethearts, and grateful that we speak English - and most Norwegians do!

You should show them the "freeze to death". They will like it

They are better off without us I think. Also it is never said that op works in tourism. Might just be some random tourists getting mad at him/her.

The EU is dying. Joining ever, was a bad idea. Joining now would be a abhorrently stupid idea.

species4872 19

Perhaps a nice middle finger card for them next time.

The middle finger there might not mean what it does in North America. Every country is different. Our middle finger is the pinky finger in another country. I just don't remember which one. Plus with him/her at work at the time of the incident, he/she could get in a lot of trouble or fired for doing something like that to customers.

The middle finger is the same here, but yeah... I was working, and had to smile politely.

You do realize that's a myth told in elementary school right..

species4872 19

#30 goodness, don't take me literally.

#2 He could mean he was running a shop or stand and they wanted to buy whatever he was selling there is not enough here to know he works in Tourism

I work at a museum, and there's no way I could be able to speak all of the languages of the tourists who come trough. Usually, with a bit of patience, everything is fine and everybody's happy, but every day there's at least one asshat who doesn't even bother to try.