By poohead - 09/12/2009 05:07 - Australia

Today, I was cleaning out my new guinea pig cage for the first time because one of them had babies last night. After using a spatula to shovel up the 3 inch layer of crap and placenta, I decided to hose it down. The hose came on so hard, it sprayed the dung and birth water all over my face. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 144
You deserved it 30 194

Same thing different taste

Top comments

3 inch layer of dirt, shouldn't you have cleaned them out a long time ago?

A guinea pigs pregnancy is 65-72 days...if this was the first time you cleaned it since you got them then you definitely deserve it. Also, I notice you live in QLD...you do know that there are approximately 300+ guinea pigs languising in Australian Cavy Sanctuary shelters in QLD right? And many more in the NSW + Victorian shelters. If you bred on purpose then you really deserve it.

Comments

I have 2 guinea pigs, and i'm guessing she was talking about 3 inches of litter along with waste... 3 inches is a waste of litter btw... I usually leave mine about an inch thick so it smells sooner and reminds me to clean their cage more often. Also, guineas eat their afterbirth... unless she got one of those in-denial guinea pigs who end up being terrible mothers... Her guinea pig was probably pregnant before she got it. That's why you NEVER buy guinea pigs from a store, but if you have to, from a store that only carries 1 gender or the other. Even if there are seperate cages, there's a chance of mix ups...

RaeBabe03 0
aerosmihlikesme 0

I don't believe this. I watched my guinea pig give birth and she ate the stuff afterward. I'm pretty sure that's normal!

xmagicgirlxx 0

you deserve it, your not supposed to touch the mother or babies for 2 weeks. and its normal for them to eat the placenta.

starshine3987 0

YDI for neglecting to clean out your pets cage for so long. You're supposed to clean their cage once a week and refresh their bedding a couple times between each cleaning. Also, most all rodent animals (hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, and guinea pigs) can easily be potty trained. I've done so with my four dwarf hamsters, it isn't that hard. Get it a litter box so it won't have to wallow around in its own mess anymore, especially if it now has babies. If you leave the feces in there long enough it will grow mold on it and make your pet very sick. I'm surprised it hasn't already. Also #47 is right. Most animals usually clean up the after birth, and you shouldn't disturb the babies so soon. However since that cage was clearly a health hazard to the mother and even more so the babies cleaning it probably was your best option.

starshine3987 0

I as afraid my comment would be to long if I included these with it. Here are some links to info about how to take care of your guinea pig. Please in the future take better care of it or your putting it's life, and the life of it's babies, in danger. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/small-pet-care/guinea-pig-care.html http://www.petco.com/New-Pet/Small-Pets.aspx?N=26 http://www.2ndchance.info/guineapigcare.htm http://www.simplepetcare.com/pet-pets/8/GUINEAPIG/

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I had pet rats and got a rabbit sized litter box for their cage. They litter trained themselves the first night I had them and only had a few accidents after that. :)

shadowskater 0

dude YDI for animal neglect 3 inches of crap god i barely ever let mine go past 2 weeks without cleaning it. and it had offspring it takes a little over 2 months to have them. plus the few weeks it takes them to get used to each other

OnTheSaneSide 0

I had the same litter thing with Gerbils. It wasn't our last litter. Separate them while you still can!!