By aprouddaddy - 04/12/2014 23:46 - France - Paris

Today, I was a bit upset to learn that my 13 year-old daughter had a boyfriend. When she noticed, she assured me that I shouldn't worry, because "it's just for sex anyway". FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 814
You deserved it 6 585

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At that age, she barely needs to know what sex is…

Comments

A first relation shouldn't be 'just for sex', man, how depressing is that? I'm happy I grew up without sexual pressure, that shit began to start at age 16. Talk with her, let her know that sex can be aweful, good, and great if you wait for the right moment. And if she thinks the right moment is there, be aware that you can't stop it. So talking about contraception is definitely necessary.

totally surprised。。。or am I too conservative ?

#12 said it. Talk it over with her and make clear how important Contraception and protection against STI is. As for legal stuff. In my country you arent really allowed to have sex when both parts are under 14 but they cant be punished for it either because there under 14. So you should have a look into that too and explain that to her.

It's just about time to have a serious "talk" with her.

That sucks but I feel like OP could've done more when it came to teaching her about sex (the appropriate age to do so, sexual health, etc.) Not gonna say YDI, but the fact that she was so casual in telling you means OP didn't seem to sit down with her and talk to her about sex. I'm guessing she found out on her own, was curious, and made her own conclusions.

I agree, but if they haven't spoken to the daughter about it yet it may be because they never thought something like this would happen or didn't think she was anywhere near mature enough to think so casually about it. Saying that in the culture we live in today where we should be prepared for this type of thing. I'm certainly not condoning it and I'm not saying everyone should expect their kids to become promiscuous at a young age but maybe it's time we did have a talk and try and get our children to talk to us if they think they're going to do it or are scared of something etc. I think sometimes people forget they were kids too and some of them had 'fun' under the age of 16 (or whatever the age limit!) It's quite obvious that sex is no longer a taboo subject so maybe we try and make the conversations easier so that if young teenagers are going to do it we can help and give guidance where needed rather than them go through the feelings alone. :)

I agree. I definitely think this is a YDI case of not thinking of having a sex talk earlier. Children aren't stupid, and need the world explained at different times repetitively. I preached protection to my 13yr old girl at different times since she was 10. I've always used Google to help me explain what I didn't have words for. Please teach her like a human and give her respect enough to take your time out and talk to her as an intellectual being.

Maybe grounding her for the next 6 years could be one solution.

TallMist 32

If she's 13, then she'd be 19 in 6 years. The longest a parent can ground a child, unless said child decides to stay at home with their parents by such age, is 18, which will be when most people would be clamoring to get out of their parent's home.

If she's already having sex, you can't stop her. You can teach/inform her about protection, pregnancy and diseases that you (May) get if not being protected. Also have the "sex" talk like everyone said.

that sucks.. probably time to have "the talk". dont want her to end up pregnant :/

That should make you even more disappointed