By angrypetowner - 29/03/2016 03:24 - United States - Warrensburg

Today, I tried to train my cat to scratch the scratching post by giving her a treat every time she used it, but she took that as getting a treat every time she scratched something. Now, not only does she scratch all my furniture, but she also meows for a treat while doing it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 318
You deserved it 4 854

Same thing different taste

Top comments

My brother used to have a few pennies in a small sandwich like container. He shook it every time his cat was scratching something up, or jumping up on tables. The cat REALLY hated the noise the pennies made.

Do not use spray bottles to deter cats from doing something, if she tends to scratch somewhere more than others put tinfoil on the ground by it as cats dont like the feel of it on their paws, or buy more scratching posts and put them everywhere she likes to scratch. Also try to put catnip on the scratching post, but the main thing is DO NOT USE A WATER SPRAY BOTTLE!!! Cats do not learn things like us and do not understand that what they are doing is wrong and just see you as terrorising them

Comments

I got bitter spray specifically for cats to stop them scratching and every day I sprayed it on everything I didn't want her to scratch and then I rubbed her trees down in cat nip and put piles of treats and toys on them. Worked like a charm.

If you wanna used treats then put the treats on the scratching post or get a puzzle scratching post n' put treats in it.

use a squirt bottle filled with water and spray the cat whenever the cat scratches anythingbut the post, trust me it works.

I would spray her with a water bottle when she scratches something besides the scratching post. Or move her to the scratching post when she starts scratching something. I trained my kittens to climb on the bed by moving their paws up the bed spread to show them how to. This may work for the scratching post. Good luck!

this is why I prefer dogs. dogs are not assholes..

My dog chewed up my mom's 30 year old wallet. My dog ***** on the floor even if I take her outside for over an hour. She'll go pee outside, but as soon as you bring her in, she will take a shit on the floor. She once shit on my floor near my bed and I stepped in it. I scolded her for it. When I went to bed, she took a shit right between my legs so that when I woke up I would roll right in it. You can't say she didn't do it on purpose. She did do it on purpose to get back at me for scolding her for pooping on the floor. Dogs can be way more destructive than cats and they can be assholes too.

When our cat was young, everytime she was about to scratch our furniture we would just simply say 'no' and take her to her scratching post immediately and imitate the scratching movements with her paws, giving her vocal positive feedback. Now it's all she uses to scratch her nails on! Gotta be consequent for a while but it really worked.

My late cat loved sitting on his 'double wide' cardboard scratching pad.

My cat is trained to stop a behavior at the sound of a snap. He doesn't like the loud, sudden noise and it works well since I don't normally snap. I say his name in an angry tone when I do it, so he knows it's directed at him. catnip only effects about 50% of cats, but catnip spray on the post is worth a shot. Every cat I've ever had has LOVED cardboard for scratching. Maybe try putting boxes and cardboard scratchers around. Then if your cat scratches at furniture try snapping or making a noise that will distract it from the behavior. At this point, it needs to unlearn your treat giving, too. Try giving treats at random for the next week or so, to break the association.

Spray the areas she's scratching with vinegar or put duck tape on the area (sticky side out)

Operant conditioning 101. Ignore bad behavior, praise good behavior. Ignore the cat when it scratches anything but the post. When it scratches the post, praise and reward the shit out of it.