By Anonymous - 24/09/2009 14:34 - United States

Today, I told my dad that I have a very serious drinking problem and that I need to go to rehab because I can't stop on my own. He told me that I just need to make new friends and suggested I join a sorority. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 488
You deserved it 6 510

Same thing different taste

Top comments

if you are old enough to drink, you are old enough to check yourself into rehab

I have never seen such terrible advice for such a serious concern. Not trying to step on toes and may catch flak for the post, but alcoholism is a medically defined disease. It is beyond just drinking heavily. And while it may be fun in college, by the time you reach midlife, it is pure hell. For the poster, there are great facilities in Kansas. If this really is a problem for you that you can't just stop, continue the initiative, call them. I promise you, you won't regret it later when you look back on this. -CltCounselor

Comments

Erm, it's called having will power. Jeeezush. You pansy yankee's are addicted to rehab! - reply to 50. XD

I have a drinking problem too i dont drink enough its serious i need to get back on it

aaaaa12345_fml 0

alcoholics need to just get over themselves. stop craving attention so much

Polionixon 2

we all know how sororities don't party. Lol

I used to drink 3 times a week and I don't have a drinking problem. I'd still drink 3 times a week if I had the time. School is getting in the way.

fanstasia 5

Now we know were your inability to cope with life issues stems from. You do what's best for you, you don't need his permission to go to AA. good luck. I've lived through living with two recovered alcholics and users and while it's not easy, I know you can stop with the desire to do so and good support.

sportsnut 0

i dont get it...there are a ton sororities that dont party like they do in the movies. I used to be anti-greek life until i got to know some people in there and realized that its not a drunken mess every night and many of them are academic based so yes, your dad is probably right. The RIGHT sorority could do you a world of good.

boatkicker 4

I don't think OP was commenting on the fact that sororities party. I think OP was commenting on the fact that her father thought some new friends could help. Having grown up in the home of an alcoholic, having watched other grow up with alcoholics, and having watched my friend battle with alcoholism, and having seen various people deal with other addictions I've come to the conclusion that serious addiction is one of the few things that doesn't respond very well to supportive environments. Yes, it can sometimes help, but I've realized that either putting them in a situation where they CAN'T have alcohol (such a rehab where its just not available) or putting them under some sort of threat (for example having their kids potentially taken away) works a lit better than support on its own. Support MUST be added to elimination/threat, but on its own its not hugely successful, and just joining a sorority will not help unless it's only a minor addiction to begin with. Since OP said it was a serious problem I'm assuming that it is serious.

Clearly your dad is a genius. The best solution to a serious problem is confrontation. You must stand before the beer bottle, stare it down, and wait until it backs down. However, a task like this requires months of self-discipline and training! Good luck, you'll need it.