By Anonymous - 24/09/2009 14:34 - United States

Today, I told my dad that I have a very serious drinking problem and that I need to go to rehab because I can't stop on my own. He told me that I just need to make new friends and suggested I join a sorority. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 488
You deserved it 6 510

Same thing different taste

Top comments

if you are old enough to drink, you are old enough to check yourself into rehab

I have never seen such terrible advice for such a serious concern. Not trying to step on toes and may catch flak for the post, but alcoholism is a medically defined disease. It is beyond just drinking heavily. And while it may be fun in college, by the time you reach midlife, it is pure hell. For the poster, there are great facilities in Kansas. If this really is a problem for you that you can't just stop, continue the initiative, call them. I promise you, you won't regret it later when you look back on this. -CltCounselor

Comments

caticaticati 3

Oh my God, the comments on this are so ignorant and insensitive. I realize that some of the comments are just jokes, and in some of them it's okay, but this is ridiculous. It is entirely possible to have an actual drinking problem in college - you don't know how often OP drinks or if she is only drinking at parties and with friends. Who's to say she hasn't already reached the point that she drinks alone in her dorm and has tried to stop and tried to stop and hasn't succeeded? And it IS possible for her to know she has a problem and admit it. Many alcoholics go into AA because they know they have a problem. Someone who can admit it before even starting AA or going to rehab is an incredibly strong person. ESPECIALLY at OP's young age. People saying OP deserves it because she drank in the first place, shut the **** up. You don't know why people start drinking, and I'm sure you're okay with someone who has the occasional glass of wine at nice dinners. It's entirely possible that OP didn't start out drinking booze every weekend at crazy parties, although I realize that is unlikely with someone so young. Some people drink quite a bit for a while and get over it, but if OP thinks she has a problem, she probably does. OP, what someone said about you being old enough to check yourself in to rehab is right. Although it sucks that your father isn't being supportive, perhaps he'll see that you really meant it if you go get help yourself. Good luck and take it one day at a time - I hope everything works out.

too long didn't read: Thinks people are ignorant and stupid even though the girl is in college and everybody drinks like fishes.

caticaticati 3

You know, I don't particularly care if you DIDN'T read my comment. And not everybody in college drinks like fishes. I don't. My friends at my college don't. I know a large amount of people at other schools who don't.

mcxhunni 0

go pull the stick out of your ass ****

Slicer316 2

Don't drink to begin with???? Actually have some self control if you are going to drink? And to #29 there is not a single reason why someone NEEDS to start drinking. I hope this person the best of luck in breaking the addiction. Just next time realize that you are stronger than the bottle and that you don't need it.

boatkicker 4

29 didn't say anything about "needing" to start drinking. They said no one knew how/why OP started drinking. I've been drinking wine at family events since I was like 14, and there's nothing wrong that. Maybe that's how OP started. It doesn't matter. The problem with alcoholism isn't where it starts. It's where you end up. You want to drink a glass or two of wine twice a year? go for it. You want to get drunk three times a week, you've got a problem. and it doesn't matter what age you are either. Is a drunken 18 year old any worse than a drunken 39 year old? According to the laws, yes but in reality no, not at all. They both get up to the same stupid shit. And also, pretty much only the first two sentences are directed at you. the rest is just stuff i'm throwing out there for the hell of it.

hyderabadi 0

YDI for having a dad. remember jesus

actually, it would be the converse, not the inverse. learn some simple geometry one, thanks.

happyvalleygirl 0

It's not alcoholism 'til after you graduate. Although, I do go to the #1 party school in the country, so maybe it's different in Kansas. And if that's the case, Kansas is SOFT.

fstrthnu5 0

believe me, kansas is nowhere near soft

solitary_game 0

What is wrong with everyone? Alcoholism is a serious problem and, like any addiction, is difficult to quit on your own. Simply avoiding places with drinks, or to not drink when it's available is not as easy as it sounds when you have a problem. Call rehab and get yourself admitted. If you're having a hard time doing that, then call a friend or another family member who's not so much of a tool as your dad. Good luck.

Glam_fml 0

All you idiots make me laugh (and sad for the future of humanity). Anyway, if someone is an alcoholic, they usually can't just put down the bottle and stop, unless they want to die from the withdrawals. Many alcoholics have to be admitted to a hospital and be under a doctors supervision in order to quit drinking. So please, in the future, unless you actually know something about a subject, shut up and stop showing people what idiots you are.

You people are all idiots. Alcoholism is a serious problem, and cannot be quit by sheer good will alone. OP: Kudos to you for realizing that you need help. FYL for your dad being an idiot about it. Admit yourself in to rehab.