By Hi_Five - 03/12/2015 20:48 - United States - Wake Forest

Today, I spoke to a highly recommended therapist for my special-needs child. After 45 minutes of describing our challenges, heartbreaks and other very personal information, she told me that her schedule was permanently full. But she invited me to go through the phone book to find someone else. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 282
You deserved it 1 779

Hi_Five tells us more.

OP here - uh, no. You are making things up out of whole cloth. I would never self-diagnose my kid. We have been through years of trying to get the best help we can find, and that does not include charlatans, vaccine-deniers and the internet. Try again.

Top comments

Why would she even speak to you in the first place if she knew she was full? Way to waste your time, esp for something that's so delicate. I hope you find someone better.

Kuibe 18

That's really unprofessional I can't see why they are highly recommended. I hope you find a good therapist to help you with your kid. Special need therapists can be really great if you get a good one. I know this because I use to see one for medical related anxiety problems... Best of luck OP.

Comments

Thats unfortunate, I hope you find someone who has time to listen.

I've never understood why people think it's beneficial to tell OP what he/she should have done since there's nothing he/she can do about it now

Why would she even speak to you in the first place if she knew she was full? Way to waste your time, esp for something that's so delicate. I hope you find someone better.

Naith 14

The therapist wasn't full they just didn't want to deal with OP.

That's just the problem. In the field of therapy the therapist seems to be one of the best ones around. "Someone better" will be hard to find. However somebody who's nicer would be great.

Kuibe 18

That's really unprofessional I can't see why they are highly recommended. I hope you find a good therapist to help you with your kid. Special need therapists can be really great if you get a good one. I know this because I use to see one for medical related anxiety problems... Best of luck OP.

91hayek 31

Maybe she needed all that information to make a decision? Still, if she wasn't free she could have made a recommendation or referred you to someone she knew based on all that information. She of all people should know how hard it is for parents trying for their kids and that any help is welcome.

If she "needed to make a decision", she didn't need to lie and say she was fully booked. No matter what, that therapist handled the situation extremely poorly.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Indianboy9321 25

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Mathalamus 24

Then she could have said that the child was outside her area of expertise. No need to lie about that, it's perfectly acceptable and understandable for a therapist who doesn't think they're fully equipped to take someone on to be honest about that.

I'm not defending the therapist here, I'm just saying it might have been out of her depth and she didn't want to admit it. She should have said so tho.

countryb_cth 38

You put special needs in quotes and that made you come off like you think OPs lying.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Omfgitsmia 15

Permanently full? I'd be pissed at whoever recommended her unprofessional ass. She definitely could have referred you to a collegue better fit for your child's needs before letting you go through the trouble of all that explaining. Sorry OP. I hope you find the help you need.

Consider this a blessing. She's clearly not up to the challenge. You and yours deserve someone who is. Stay to it. Things will work out.

That is extremely inappropriate. It's actually for the best your children deserves a much more caring therapist