By Hi_Five - 03/12/2015 20:48 - United States - Wake Forest

Today, I spoke to a highly recommended therapist for my special-needs child. After 45 minutes of describing our challenges, heartbreaks and other very personal information, she told me that her schedule was permanently full. But she invited me to go through the phone book to find someone else. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 282
You deserved it 1 779

Hi_Five tells us more.

OP here - uh, no. You are making things up out of whole cloth. I would never self-diagnose my kid. We have been through years of trying to get the best help we can find, and that does not include charlatans, vaccine-deniers and the internet. Try again.

Top comments

Why would she even speak to you in the first place if she knew she was full? Way to waste your time, esp for something that's so delicate. I hope you find someone better.

Kuibe 18

That's really unprofessional I can't see why they are highly recommended. I hope you find a good therapist to help you with your kid. Special need therapists can be really great if you get a good one. I know this because I use to see one for medical related anxiety problems... Best of luck OP.

Comments

I can't believe she did that! If she really does have a full schedule she should of informed you right from the beginning. It sucks that you had to go through that :( I hope you find someone who really cares about you and your child :)

that stinks. like calling customer service and telling them you're entire issue for like 5 minutes and they transfer you, I've had that happen 3xs in one call. :| Sorry O.P. that's mega frustrating. Hope you find someone for you and your child.

I don't think you can really compare this to a customer care situation. Please have some sympathy

Why not compare it? I realize the scenarios are different but what makes you think this person wasn't trying to be sympathetic and empathize with the frustrations of dealing with another person that doesn't care and passes the buck? It's not a matter of my problem was bigger than yours. It's a matter of I understand the frustrations.

Coming from someone who has a special needs little brother and knowing how hard it can be at times, you deserve someone who will truly listen and care. That "therapist" didn't deserve your time or money anyway. I'm sorry OP, hopefully you find someone who is more professional.

That's incredibly rude. She should have been upfront about being full BEFORE you spent 45 minutes explaining your issues. Sorry OP, maybe it's for the best if she's such a bitch.

Lawana 4

OP, I know it sucks. I called nearly 80 Therapists till I found mine. And I told every one of them my problems. Most of the time in shorter words. 10 minutes at most. But it was crushing every time and after some phonecalls I was just emotienless, because it hurt to much to let it all near me 80 times. I eventuelly found mine, because I cried for 15 minutes and it really was a pity from her that she took me in. But I really don´t understand why you all say that she was totally unprofessional. She listened to OP and then said that she didn´t have room in her shedule. What was she supposed to do? Hang up on OP? No therapist that I called ever recomended me one of his colleges.

She wouldn't need to suddenly hang up. She could have immediately started the conversation with telling OP she was fully booked.

Lawana 4

Therapists don't do that. There's always a chance that the person on the other end of the call is suicidal. And yes. Suicidal people find a Therapist quicker than others. None of the Therapists I called said that their shedule was full at the very start of the call. It's just a way for them to make sure the suicidal people don't slip between all the Therapists. At least thats what they do in Germany.

OP, I feel for you. I have a little brother who is special needs as well and finding a therapist was hard for my parents. I hope that you find the one who is able to help you and your child with the challenges. That therapist was extremely rude for turning you away like that. She did not even recommend someone who was more suited to handle your case. I would've told whoever recommended her what she did before I go looking else where.

Everyone is hating on the therapist, but maybe she thought OP just needed to vent/get things off her chest? Living with special-needs children can be very challenging and isolating. It's possible that even though the therapist didn't have room to schedule the family in, she did have 45 spare minutes to do what little she could to help at that particular time. I agree that it would have been more professional for her to give a recommendation for other therapists/clinics, however, instead of just leaving OP hanging.

yellowzinnias 20

Also, it's very possible that after listening to the mother, the therapist realized she's one of those who has self-diagnosed her child with special needs and wants someone to back her up when there's no evidence. Those cases are getting more and more common. "My child didn't walk by 5 months old, he's special needs!" They're usually the Jenny McCarthy fans, who listen to her dribble about how any child who received vaccines is autistic and how her son magically "outgrew" autism. Puke. Anyway, if that were the case, one of the most professional things she could have done was pretend to be full and not pass such a client onto anyone specific.

Ugh, Jenny McCarthy! Don't even get me started! lol

OP here - uh, no. You are making things up out of whole cloth. I would never self-diagnose my kid. We have been through years of trying to get the best help we can find, and that does not include charlatans, vaccine-deniers and the internet. Try again.

KhaleesiDannie 26

I'm sorry you had to go through that OP I hope you can find someone to help you and your family

Permanently full?? She lied. Otherwise she wouldn't have wasted your time to begin with.