By ForgottenKid - 06/11/2009 06:13 - United States

Today, I saw my grandmother. All of my cousins and I went to say hi to her, one by one. When I got up to her and said, "Hi grandma!", she said in Chinese, "I don't remember this one." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 907
You deserved it 2 576

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MermaidSongXOXO 6

Awww, don't take offense to it. Her memory's just slipping. It would've been worse if she suddenly remembered and said "Oh, yeah--- the mistake."

Sounds similar to when my great aunt was introducing us four kids... she was like, "This one's Matt, this one's Angelica, this one's Kyle..." then she points to me and says, "and that's... oh, whatever her name is." It definitely sucks.

Comments

Baylorbound2012 0

There is no language called "Chinese". There's Mandarin and Cantonese...

perdix 29

The weird thing is they are an Italian family! No one knows why Grandma is speaking any of the languages of China.

Actually, most linguists would consider Mandarin and Cantonese to be dialects of a Chinese language. While the English use of the word dialect doesn't convey the fact that the two spoken language systems are mutually intelligible, for social, linguistic-historical, and cultural reasons, there is indeed a spoken Chinese language. Furthermore, the spoken Chinese language features not only Mandarin and Cantonese but many other dialects.

kudos to u ohnothingreally. so many ppl don't know there is a difference. the thing is OP should have specified if it was Cantonese or Mandarin if she's Chinese so a few alarm bells r ringing there. but all in all people start forgetting stuff when they get old. what's it called again?

catastrophicsock 0

Yeah, I know the feeling. When my grandfather was dying (from cancer) we visited him at Christmas and he couldn't remember my sister or I (two of the only three grandchildren. He remembered the third, in jail for stealing from him) and to add salt to the wound, he said "she's prettier" and indicated to my sister. Try not to take it too seriously. They mean no harm, even if what they say really hurts

Everyone should pity me, Though it's my Grandma's memory That's fading way too rapidly. I can't be worried for HER, you see, Cause Im a giant cry baby. Seriously, give the woman a break. I've watched a older and not so older people slip memory wise and worse, loose it completely. It's not an FML.

Skull_300 0

Did you say "**** You Old Lady" in English?

I'm Chinese and one of like 13 cousins, and this happened to me too! Well, it's definitely understandable, but I was a little hurt my grandma recognized my little brother and not me... Guess kids are cuter.