By Anonymous - 02/09/2019 04:00 - New Zealand - Invercargill

Today, during a family reunion, my 89 year-old grandma stood up and drunkenly made a speech about how ashamed I should be of myself for still being single. She then passed out at the table. Half my family got up to help her, the other half whispered in agreement. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 800
You deserved it 157

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like everybody oughta be ashamed of Grandma instead! What business is it of hers or anybody else's about OP's choices in her social life? Being single isn't always a voluntary decision at times.... :-(

How fat is she that half the family is required to lift her up?

Comments

Sounds like everybody oughta be ashamed of Grandma instead! What business is it of hers or anybody else's about OP's choices in her social life? Being single isn't always a voluntary decision at times.... :-(

And there’s nothing to be ashamed of at being single. Surely better than being in an abusive or a crappy relationship.

Just for curiosity’s sake... how old are you?

How fat is she that half the family is required to lift her up?

IME if female relatives try to shame you into a relationship/marriage, it's because their own sucked and misery always wants company. Usually they can't deal with the prospect of another women just enjoying her freedom because that means she's not tied down to the hyena table of unhappily married women who actually despise their situation yet insist that everyone join them or be shunned as selfish and unloveable lmao. Internalized misogyny is a real b*tch. The time of financial and social dependency on a marriage for women is long gone, some people just have a hard time grasping that concept. I'd argue getting wasted at a family reunion before insulting people and passing out is more of a reason to be ashamed, but you know, different values here.

"You expressed an opinion relevant to this story with coherent and thought-out ideas. That is ...bad...for reasons...so I must insult you. But I myself dont' understand why I'm lashing out, so it will be the vaguest and least relevant insult ever. Something about how having an opinion and being a woman means you must be some sort of social pariah. Nailed it!"

tounces7 27

"The time of financial and social dependency on a marriage for women is long gone, " Lol, instead of men making enough to provide for a family, now we're all just equally poor and struggling. Thank you corporations for your part in feminism...

Sounds like it’s time for you to choose your own family.