By Anonymous - 10/03/2013 00:40 - United Kingdom - Brighton

Today, I received an email from my friend in South Africa, with whom I'll soon be staying for 2 months. She was telling me that she had bought me a few things so I would be prepared for my stay. What did she buy me? A taser and some pepper-spray. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 982
You deserved it 5 564

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahahaha! Your friend's a joker, mate. A taser won't help you here!

Comments

This is funny because I live in South Africa... hahahaha

420Zombie 17

I'm sure you'll still be laughing it up when you're getting raped then?

Seems normal to me considering I carry a knife and pepper spray with me everywhere I go...

420Zombie 17

true that, many women of every country carry concealable weapons like that

And I don't see anything wrong with it! No matter who or where you are, you should always carry a weapon of self-defense. In my opinion, obviously.

#122 I completely agree. It doesn't matter if you're in Africa or Antarctica. Safe is better than sorry.

It's always a good idea to be aware of local crime statistics when travelling to an area you are (presumably) not very familiar with. Seems like she is just looking out for you to make sure you are prepared. Ignorance of danger does not make it go away.

oj101 33

Actually OP, I think you'll appreciate it. My friend lives in SA- it's a beautiful country but it has so many problems, especially in the cities. They live in one of the nicer neighborhoods, but electric barbed wires, sleeping next to a pistol and having 2 pit bulls seem to be the norm. There is an intense fear of crime everyday for all aspects of society. The only truly safe spots are tourist hideaways and safaris/or private farms. But have a nice time OP- it's a beautiful place nevertheless, just be careful of when, where and how you go out.

No tourist places are more dangerous actually! I am South African, I know this for fact. It's one of the highest crime countries in the world.

MiloBear 11

I have to say, barbed wire is usually used in bad areas. I live in a nice neighbourhood in SA and there is no barbed wire around here, although there could be electric fences since I don't go around touching them. And my family refuses to have guns in the house, never owned a dog either. Your friend is paranoid.

I've lived in South Africa my entire life and although we do have high walls, electric fencing, and alarm systems, I don't know anyone who owns a gun, and we don't own dogs. Sleeping next to a gun isn't really the norm here.

KM96 24

Well, it's better to be safe than sorry OP

I had a South African friend when I was living in East Sussex, she gave me a taser on my birthday, telling that it would help me protect myself. I did not understand what she meant until i visited her in SA and saw her beat the crap out of an unknown guy.

"beat the crap out of an unknown guy." What did he do?

The crime rate in South Africa is incredibly high