By shaifox96 - 17/04/2015 03:34 - Canada - Saint Catharines

Today, I received a terrible grade for an essay I worked really hard on. I had two friends, one being an English major, check it over. However, apparently I "clearly didn't use spellcheck" on this essay just like the last one I submitted to her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 933
You deserved it 5 677

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Steffi3 40

Either she chose the wrong major, of you need new friends

Comments

You really should've checked it over or gave it to her 2 days before the deadline so you could fix it. YDI OP.

I don't get it. Are you saying your teacher is being a bitch to you?

If you didn't use spell check, despite having a friend look over it, you're dumb. But if you did, and the teacher is just picking on you, that's a pretty easy check. Have her circle all the misspelled words and then you go look them up.

Doesn't computer programs like Word for example, automatically have spellchecker running while a document is typed?

As a tutor at my school, it's not your friends' jobs to spell check you. If a student has a few errors I'll correct them on paper but more than that a d I tell them Spell Check. I'm a shitty speller myself but spell check does help.

snarkytruth 37

Does anyone else here want to read the essay to see how bad it actually is for themselves? Wish OP would post it online and update us with the link. Stupid idea to ask anyone majoring in anything to help you. They're just students themselves they don't know anything yet. Ask a Prof,TA or tuitor. Relying on another student to proofread isn't doing your own work anyway. No one is going to do it for you in the real world.

It doesn't seem to want to let me post a link. I uploaded it on fiction press. The title is "Roman Essay (Not fiction just didn't have another place to upload)" and the poster is farawayfox. Keep in mind this is my first year of University, and I'm not an English major. I realize it isn't the best essay, but I don't feel it is all THAT terrible.

I just read the first paragraph of your essay, and it seems to me that your ideas and thoughts are solid and really good, but your organization and way of articulation needs considerable work. There's significantly less spelling errors than there are structural errors, and I can see where such subtle mistakes can be missed.

FieldLeftBlank 20

It seems like it was a case of your professor randomly flinging the word "spellcheck", like people often do. The issues are with the flow and sentence structure and your word processor won't help with that. I don't know what to tell you, reading a lot should help you improve in those areas. You're obviously doing a humanities degree, so the professors are in their right to expect a certain level of articulation. However, one would think that an English major would've been able to help with these issues in particular. PS: roman's =/= romans =/= romans'

I'm actually a Linguistics major. I took this as an elective.

And it was my TA who marked it. She has marked everything this semester, so I haven't been doing very well.

I would ask the TA to sit down and go over the essay with you line by line. That way you know for a fact what you did wrong or, simply, if they're an unfair grader.

Your professor can't really lie about bad spelling, there's a definitive way to check that, so your essay must have really been terrible. You definitely deserve it

Kasanovastar 18

I was the English major friend. Everyone always wants us to check their papers. Do it yourself! The amount of papers we had to write ourselves.... Ugh. I didn't have time to properly edit someone else's and I hated being asked. I always felt obligated or I was a "bitch" or shitty friend.

I only asked the friend because my previous essay was butchered. This is the first time I've had someone look over my essay, I was just worried about receiving a terrible grade.

Far from all English majors are good editors or proofreaders, though many assume we all are. It's also worth noting that writing (though not all English majors write!) is a very different skill from editing. If you're not comfortable editing others' papers, however, it's always a good idea to tell them.

I didn't just ask her because she is an English major. I asked because she is my friend and I trust her to help. I also asked a different friend, to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

English majors are idiots so there's that.

English majors are idiots, so there's that. You forgot the comma. This helpful hint brought to you by an idiot English major. :-)

Also, an ellipsis would add some emphasis to the comment (and I believe the ellipsis is the accepted punctuation for that idiom). "English majors are idiots, so there's that..." Without the ellipsis, you just sound like an idiot.