By shaifox96 - 17/04/2015 03:34 - Canada - Saint Catharines

Today, I received a terrible grade for an essay I worked really hard on. I had two friends, one being an English major, check it over. However, apparently I "clearly didn't use spellcheck" on this essay just like the last one I submitted to her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 932
You deserved it 5 676

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Steffi3 40

Either she chose the wrong major, of you need new friends

Comments

Spellcheck is a must. I live by it lol, next time OP, use it like it will never be used again. Good luck!

I have no words to adequately explain what happened. Apparently, neither did you!

I forgot how strict teachers can be. that really sucks, OP. for your sake, I hope your friend wasn't purposely trying to screw you over.

Many essays are not marked by the professor but instead by a teaching assistant! Colleges and universities have appeal boards if you are confident the issue isn't composition and spelling

Well if you really didn't use spellchecker then YDI. Spell check is the first thing you do when doing your final check over and if you haven't used it then you deserve a terrible mark as its the simplest thing to get right. You could have written the most wonderful essay ever but if it isn't coherent with incorrect grammar and spelling then it isn't professional and doesn't deserve a good mark. Certainly at university level!

Totally relying on others is never a good idea. YDI

Maybe you should have used a Canadian major to check it for you.

I'm very confused by the Fml. So who said op didn't use spell checker?

Thank you! I didn't put it in the FML, as I assumed that was common sense.

No, OP, we are confused, not defending you. Who said you didn't use spellcheck, your teacher?

Yes. My TA wrote on the side of my essay "You clearly didn't use spellcheck". I did use spell check. So did my two friends. You are welcome to read the essay and tell me what spellcheck picked up? Because I nor my spellcheck saw anything wrong.

Ok OP I'm going to get honest with you here. I am also an English major and if your paper was written like the above comment, then it would be full of grammar mistakes that spellcheck wouldn't pick up. First of all, let's start with the most obvious mistake :"I nor my spell checker". When dealing with two entities, I typically never comes first. Secondly, you can't just use nor, in this case you need a neither - "Neither my spell checker nor I".

Apologies, I was in a rush to reply to all of the comments before my exam. I should have put "neither I, nor my spellcheck". It is the way I speak, not what I would write on an essay. I wasn't aware it was incorrect English.

So you handed in an essay and was told you should check it for spelling errors. Then you hand in another essay also not spell checked - seems fair you got a horrible grade. YDI.

Always triple check EVERYTHING before submitting work :)