By shake666 - 04/12/2015 17:50 - United States - Fremont

Today, I presented my assigned chapter for a book we're currently reading in my English class. I really like the book, so I've been reading ahead. When I summarized the chapter, I accidentally spoiled a major plot twist that was actually in the next chapter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 098
You deserved it 13 103

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did u not read your own paper before you presented

Comments

Especially when it's a huge plot twist being spoiled

My English teacher has spoiled every single book we have read so far this year. It's horrible

I hate spoilers but I'm with OP on if I like a book I will read ahead. Though, if I have a report or any work on a certain chapter I will read the chapter, make the report, and the period I have to present I will constantly repeat "Do not talk about anything past that point."

Every time I teach "Of Mice and Men", some kid has to spoil it for the class. Poor Lennie. He just wanted to tend the rabbits.

Besides something that actually is bad..... OH NO!!! NOT THE BOOK THAT EVERYONE HAD ACCESS TO!!!!!

@1 Except death. I think death is worse than a spoiler....but maybe it's just me.

Yeah whenever I read ahead in class I'm meticulous about keeping track of where the rest of the class is, to avoid this exact scenario. I don't wanna be "that guy."

Did u not read your own paper before you presented

Mathalamus 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm guessing English class isn't mandatory at your school?

Mathalamus 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

That's a shame. It always makes me sad when people don't have fond memories of books they read in high school. But I'm an English teacher, so I work hard to get my students excited about what we read.

Mathalamus 24

Might I suggest Harry Potter? It would be a nice way to spend a year on. I wish my school did that.

I was going to say, at least it was just an English class and not a book club or something. Unfortunately most people in high school English class don't care about the class or what they're reading. There are a few that care, but usually not many. I think if the teachers chose better curriculum, more current and a variety of genres, this might be different. If this happened at a book club or something, well then you'd be lucky to be alive. :)

I loved books when I was in school. English was my favourite. I read them all, fiction and non fiction.

Let's not vote down 16 just for not enjoying English. I was an avid reader all through primary school, but stopped reading completely once we started English at secondary school. Eventually got myself back into it (though I rarely find the time to read now) but seriously, there's nothing worse than being forced to read a book you don't want to read. Especially something considered a 'classic', so you not only have to read it, you have to enjoy it and praise it, even if you think it's crap. Or on the one occasion you get a book you like, you then have to disect the crap out of it and find hidden meanings which the author may not even have intended anyway. English lessons are hell for some of us.

Why are you all being so mean? You have never made a mistake? Don't worry op.. We are all human and do things like this in our lifetimes.

why all the YDI? I know a spoiler is awful, but OP made an honest mistake

mariri9206 32

exactly! OP didn't do it on purpose.

Well, this is one way to make all your classmates hate you.

Nobody in my class ever read the book. You're good.

Your school gives interesting books? Damn, I never read the books assigned because they're boring af.

If you didn't read them, how do you know they were boring?

meli1195 31

the books were the one good thing about English class.

I like to read but in high school and college they gave us books that I found no interest in and I was still forced to read them. I already struggle with these classes and it just makes me hate them more. Again the school systems fail because they think that each person should be taught the same when we all process things differently. That should give a good explanation to why so many high school and college students give up on reading the assigned books and would rather use spark notes to just get it over with

#35 What I meant was, I would read about 3 chapters of something like "Jane Eyre" or some acts of "Julius Caesar" and some of "I am Malala" and then get bored and put them down. I never read the whole thing.

I love to read but I've hated every book I've had to read for English class.

In high school we always had a list of books to choose from, so you could choose yourself what you found interesting to read :D

That's awesome 57! I wish they did that here! Unfortunately, where I live, they make you read one book (and no choice is given) and they're usually books that were really old. I love reading, and English was my favourite class, but I can honestly say that there were very few books from class that I actually enjoyed.