By samsterling - 13/03/2016 22:30 - United States - Blacksburg

Today, I paid $500 for a gym membership after moving into a brand new house, since 12 years of software development has taken its toll. When I told my instructor about my goal to lose 35lbs in two months, he simply said, "Yeah... That's not going to happen. Try another gym," and left promptly. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 355
You deserved it 4 195

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He kind of did his job there though....the average healthy weight-loss rate is approximately 1-2 lbs per week ish? Weight-loss as rapid as you wanted could really screw you up.

35 pounds in 2 months is really a bit high but 20 to 25 should be possible.

Comments

Happened to me before but I told the McDonalds lady I wanted to gain 35 pounds in 2 months. She told me off to the manager and the manager smiled and gave me a free burger

Dude you totally deserve it. The safe amount of weight you can loose is 2 pounds per week so in two months the max you should loose is 16 pounds. Weight loss is a slow process. If you really want to loose 35 pounds in two months you'll have to make a lot of sacrifices. If you never worked out before, dont think you can just go to the gym 5 times a week and change your whole diet in a week. Be realistic.

I totally agree, healthy weightless is actually a process and takes time,

No, they deserved to be explained to about it. The instructor basically said go waste money elsewhere because I'm too lazy to explain even though it's probably part of my job.

Why two months? Why can't you just go in and say you want to lose 35 pounds?

That's so unprofessional. He should of just told you your time frame was a bit unrealistic.

cheshireau 26

Couldn't he have explained how hard/bad that is for you and work on a better goal instead of being a dick face?

A $500 gym membership isn't what you need to lose weight. Find a local track or park to run, they are always open and free. Gym workouts are going to build muscle, and you won't see weight loss much as strength gain. You're better off losing some excess weight by changing your diet and building up cardio before going to a gym, and that's free (unless you eat cheap crappy food in which case maybe a little bit of an increase)

askullnamedbilly 33

Actually, a gym IS a good idea. An overweight person who is not accustomed to exercise could absolutely ruin their joints by going running by themselves without using proper technique. If you damage your joints, that damage is forever since they lack the ability to regenerate. At a good gym, there are trainers that are actually willing to talk to their members instead of turning tail whenever they encounter unrealistic goals. They should also be able to tell OP how to safely do cardio exercises, use his body weight to strengthen his muscles or machines if that's what he prefers. At that price, they should also be able to give recommendations on how to change his diet.

Not to mention, building lean muscle mass is the best way to lose body fat... Not weight, but body fat. Who gives a **** what the scale says if you like what you see in the mirror?

I've always heard it's better to build up your core and calves before you start running. Of course this is specifically for people with Ehlers Danlos, but I can't imagine why it would be bad advice for anyone else

Joint damage is equally likely lifting weights. As a general rule it's best to work out under supervision of a trainer, but proper diet and light running/jogging can correct OPs issue without a need for that. There's no call for the expense if OP just wants to lose 30lbs. We're not talking marathons here, even a mile every other day is generally enough to see quick change.

Guys, I think we all know it's an unrealistic goal. The problem is that the employee told him to leave instead of helping him set a new goal.

Exactly... I can't believe how many people are saying the employee was right to do that. I hope he got reprimanded for being so unprofessional

Ruskiy_Cherep 18
born_hustla 26

Clients tend to be unrealistic with their goals sometimes. I understand why the trainer did what he did but it's not the right way to go about the situation. Should have instructed op a bit more.

it is tough but very possibly. you got this