By EB - 06/11/2012 01:01 - United States

Today, I'm so broke, I asked my parents if they'd pay for me to go to the eye doctor and consider it my Christmas present. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 134
You deserved it 2 411

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TweetAnne 13

Nothing like the gift of sight. Remember that there are always people worst off then you are. Hang in there OP.

Perfect vision would make a great gift! I hope they agreed.

Comments

I've done this! For my wedding my parents present was a year of contacts. After those ran out, my father in law paid for mine and my hubs glasses for Christmas.

If you have health insurance it should pay for a visit to the eye doctor

Most don't cover it and now they will cost more and cover less

SunshyneJ 13

I've been there, only it was a trip to the dentist.

Eye doctor? Really? That sounds like a 5 year old's word for the optician

1. You have family 2. You are EXPECTING a gift from said family 3. It's likely that said family is willing and able to do this for you (or you wouldn't be asking) You're life doesn't suck. You're just broke. FWP

Well the economy isn't going to get any better and there are going to be more broke people now that president Obama has been re elected.

dblogic 19

Boohoo...story of my life, I've often asked for essential necessities in lieu of gifts but you won't find me complaining about it. I'm pretty young & both my parents have passed away. Toughen up & be glad you have support to ask for such things. Many are not that fortunate.

giana7 0

You're poor...but yet you have a device to which you can get onto FML? Seems legit.

dcaruso 1

FYL (obviously assuming you didn't burn through your money irresponsibly). That being said, while I am used to free healthcare - it is illogical to bash the US for not having it. Medicare is paid for through taxes, and the entire US tax system would have to be reworked as a result. Also, assuming the parents have the means to help OP out and provide the requested present, I hope to God that this is the first time the parents hear of OP's financial difficulties. If they have the means (which I assume, as OP asked in the first place) it is discussing (had they already known of the financial crisis) that they have not stepped forward to help OP out - especially regarding medical attention. Once again, this is assuming OPs parents have the means, has the knowledge and that OP is not a deadbeat who is in the 'hole' through repeated errors and stupidity. I would never let my children, parents, siblings or even close friends go through something like this (lack of a vital service) if I had the means to help. Also, to all the 'health care' comments. In Canada, while we have Medicare, the vision exams are subsidized, not completely free (a minimal 60$-80$ here in Quebec).

don't worry op I'm in the same boat as you.