By anon7113 - 08/01/2011 10:16 - United States

Today, I'm getting over strep throat. The antibiotics they gave me make me have diarrhea unless I eat yogurt in between each pill. That wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't lactose-intolerant. Yogurt gives me really bad gas. So I have to choose between painful gas or diarrhea. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 082
You deserved it 2 899

anon7113 tells us more.

anon7113 0

One, I do take an enzyme to help me break down food. It's called Similase. Both acidophilus (sp?) and lactaid don't work for me at all. I've tried. Two, even if yogurt doesn't have lactose in it, it doesn't change the fact that it gives me very painful gas. Three, my mother won't take me to get soy yogurt. Four, I would have asked the pharmacist for a substitute, had I been the one picking up my medication. Unfortunately, my mother didn't realize the problem when the pharmacist was explaining the "eat some yogurt to help with diarrhea side effects" part. Five, whoever said to get a different pill is obviously not good in this area. Most antibiotics can cause diarrhea and the only way to get rid of the strep bacteria is to take antibiotics. So really, I don't have much choice about the pill. Just some clarifications. Thanks. :)

Top comments

I vote gas, at least u can do something rather then sitting on the toilet

knibbsy 4

Gas is by far the lesser of the two evils. Would you rather go through a roll of toilet paper in 2 hours, leaving you with a sore ass and a raw rectum from all the wiping, or amaze your family and friends by playing some of their favorite jazz tunes with your flatulence?

Comments

ropez247 0

they have dairy free yogurt...

you could use probiotics as pills instead of the yoghurt. there are even some for lactose intolerant. just go to the pharmacy and ask some. YDI.

Yeah OP try dairy free yoghurt, that's a lot better. If you rather go for the diarrea, be sure to drink enough water. Best of luck

your welcome ,i hate the smell of others poops but mine smell soooo gud

sallen0046 4

Antibiotics upset just about everyone's stomach because they kill off many of the natural bacteria that live in and line your digestive tract. If you know you're lactose intolerant, you should have lactose tablets that counteract it's effects on hand at all times anyway in case you want to partake. On top of that, there are plenty of lactose-free yogurts available that are easy to find. Purchase either of these products to avoid gastro-intestinal upset instead of simply complaining about gas and diarrhea.

this isn't real, there's no such thing as a pill that specifically requires you to eat yogurt to prevent side effects

But there are probably pills, of which, yoghurt helps with side effects...

you can just take pills with probiotics, idiot!

Do you know anything about lactose intolerance?

Ditch the yogurt and get a probiotic supplement in capsule form instead. Probiotic capsules are more effective than yogurt anyway because they contain a higher concentration of the good bacteria that you need to replenish in your system. I've been taking a probiotic through a course of antibiotics this past week and I haven't had any troubles. It's recommended to keep taking probiotics for a month after you finish your antibiotics to get everything back to normal.

Ever heard of lactase tablets? You can buy them at the same grocery store where you buy your yogurt.