By anon7113 - 08/01/2011 10:16 - United States

Today, I'm getting over strep throat. The antibiotics they gave me make me have diarrhea unless I eat yogurt in between each pill. That wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't lactose-intolerant. Yogurt gives me really bad gas. So I have to choose between painful gas or diarrhea. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 082
You deserved it 2 899

anon7113 tells us more.

anon7113 0

One, I do take an enzyme to help me break down food. It's called Similase. Both acidophilus (sp?) and lactaid don't work for me at all. I've tried. Two, even if yogurt doesn't have lactose in it, it doesn't change the fact that it gives me very painful gas. Three, my mother won't take me to get soy yogurt. Four, I would have asked the pharmacist for a substitute, had I been the one picking up my medication. Unfortunately, my mother didn't realize the problem when the pharmacist was explaining the "eat some yogurt to help with diarrhea side effects" part. Five, whoever said to get a different pill is obviously not good in this area. Most antibiotics can cause diarrhea and the only way to get rid of the strep bacteria is to take antibiotics. So really, I don't have much choice about the pill. Just some clarifications. Thanks. :)

Top comments

I vote gas, at least u can do something rather then sitting on the toilet

knibbsy 4

Gas is by far the lesser of the two evils. Would you rather go through a roll of toilet paper in 2 hours, leaving you with a sore ass and a raw rectum from all the wiping, or amaze your family and friends by playing some of their favorite jazz tunes with your flatulence?

Comments

knibbsy 4

Gas is by far the lesser of the two evils. Would you rather go through a roll of toilet paper in 2 hours, leaving you with a sore ass and a raw rectum from all the wiping, or amaze your family and friends by playing some of their favorite jazz tunes with your flatulence?

amen go on tour with that hot piece of ass!

killherspirit 0

I vote diarrhea. Taking a poop all day seems less painfull than explosive gas. OR maybe you could try both.

try just a little yogurt? but not too much? lol I'm reminded of Larry the cable guys scattered and splattered! but jello works wonders!

yum im on the toilet takin a dump right now

thank you for sharing that lovely tidbit with all of us.

This, definitely. There are also dairy-free soy yogurts with the same cultures/probiotics added to them, just read the labels.

kaceemae 7

Diarrhea is a common side effect of antibiotics. take lactaid before you eat the yogurt, or instead of yogurt take acidophilus pills once a day. many hospitals now us acidophilus in conjunction with antibiotics to reduce the abdominal side effects. next time read the pamphlet which lists side effects and discuss it with your doc/pharmacist.

kcage210 0

Yeah, they actually have live culture capsules that contain more than one type of intestinal flora. You could just take those instead of eating the yogurt.

Talk to your pharmacist about acidophoulus to take with your antibiotic and/or find yogurt that only has cultured milk and not additional regular milk and/or take Lactaid.

why are there so many doctors on fmylife? you'd think they'd be the last person to seek out sympathy?

Why are there so many stupid people on here? I highly doubt that all those people giving advice on here are doctors, they probably just have some experience with the same issues. Also, a doctor should be one of the first people OP should seek advice/sympathy from right now.