By anon7113 - 08/01/2011 10:16 - United States

Today, I'm getting over strep throat. The antibiotics they gave me make me have diarrhea unless I eat yogurt in between each pill. That wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't lactose-intolerant. Yogurt gives me really bad gas. So I have to choose between painful gas or diarrhea. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 082
You deserved it 2 899

anon7113 tells us more.

anon7113 0

One, I do take an enzyme to help me break down food. It's called Similase. Both acidophilus (sp?) and lactaid don't work for me at all. I've tried. Two, even if yogurt doesn't have lactose in it, it doesn't change the fact that it gives me very painful gas. Three, my mother won't take me to get soy yogurt. Four, I would have asked the pharmacist for a substitute, had I been the one picking up my medication. Unfortunately, my mother didn't realize the problem when the pharmacist was explaining the "eat some yogurt to help with diarrhea side effects" part. Five, whoever said to get a different pill is obviously not good in this area. Most antibiotics can cause diarrhea and the only way to get rid of the strep bacteria is to take antibiotics. So really, I don't have much choice about the pill. Just some clarifications. Thanks. :)

Top comments

I vote gas, at least u can do something rather then sitting on the toilet

knibbsy 4

Gas is by far the lesser of the two evils. Would you rather go through a roll of toilet paper in 2 hours, leaving you with a sore ass and a raw rectum from all the wiping, or amaze your family and friends by playing some of their favorite jazz tunes with your flatulence?

Comments

SammmieO 3

Why not eat soy yogurt and avoid both?

How did you discover that eating yogurt helps?? I would figure that yogurt would be the last thing you would try considering you can't digest it..

Just buy a probiotic rather than getting it from yoghurt. It's not rocket science..

I'd take the gas... Trust me I know how you feel. I'm lactose intolerant and I've taken those kinds of meds before. The gas is favorable any day. FYL.

GAS IS MUCH BETTER! Diarrhea comes with gas! Wouldn't you rather have just gas and be able to walk around and now have a painful ring on your butt?

You could take the pill and eat the yogurt, then take another pill like lactate that helps your body digest dairy products.

lactaid pills!!! they are amazing you'll be able to eat dairy with no discomfort its a win win