By NeitherHrotsvitNorErkembaldus - 29/07/2016 21:21 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I learned that the hardest part of marrying a historian is choosing baby names. His top choices derive from two Roman magistrates, two abbesses, a tenth-century author, and an obscure Greek official. I already let him name our pug, for whom he chose the name "Tertullianus." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 619
You deserved it 1 486

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Far out baby names, might wanna dial it down about 50% and come up with a something more acceptable and serious, like Tiberius

Comments

Better than naming your baby North West! My future son will be named Patrick Samwise, and my daughter will be named Arwen. To me and my boyfriend, Samwise Gamgee is the best role model for friendship and loyalty. And Arwen's bravery and independent spirit would be something I'd be proud to see my daughter live up to.

Who cares what your name is when your parents are rich and famous? It's one thing for celebrities to do shit like that, but most people can't pull it off.

Just don't let him call your son Varus, he might don a toga and follow your son around demanding back his Legions.

Please don't make you child's life miserable by naming him something stupid. There is a fine line between unique and idiotic, for your kids sake, please don't cross it.

Tell him he can name the kids IF he takes care of them 24*7 till they turn 21. He would be the one going to park and yelling at odd times "Darrilus!!!! Stop beating your brother Getafix!! Right Now!!!" . Also he would be the one who'll have to explain the kids where to hide (when other kids beat them up for having those names) and to go to PTAs and meet parents of those kids , and not beat those parents up because they'll be laughing at the names of your children. Also tell him to buy a bigger house as kids and Nerds with weird names don't leave home till they are a hundred and don't get laid. Probably his family tree will end with those kids. Also get permission to adopt kids and name them what you want.

Just tell him Perseus that's a Greek hero and he will probably know it and accept that compromise

Plus, he'd have the same name as the character Percy Jackson and I'm sure the other kids would think that was really cool.

It's one thing to give your child a unique historical name inspired by someone you admire, and another thing entirely to name them after a figure that literally everyone knows that will get them teased even more mercilessly. Hell, let's just call the kid Hercules! Why not amirite?! Also: who the heck names their child Perseus?

rldostie 19

Man after my own heart! People forget that some Roman names are pretty tame and cool. I wanted to name my would-be son after Julian the Apostate. We also considered Augustus or Julius. Tons of people are named Octavian. I'm willing to beg that the names he picked out aren't that odd. I wanted to name my cat Alcibiades, and call him Al for short, but I wouldn't do that to my kid. Just because he gave his pug a more unique name doesn't mean that's all the names he likes.

I'm going to agree with the others to try to find names with a modern twist. Or use that as their middle name.But considering you're the one carrying the pregnancy and will have to do most of the child care, you should have more say.

Makes me wonder what the names of the parents are. My experience of people that tend to give odd names to their kids is that they have common names themselves such as James, John and so on.

your life isn't ****** that's awesome

You'll just have to one up him. Try something modern but with a strong historical argument backing it up, I saw a lot of people mention the library of Alexandria. If not, try to negotiate for him to pick the middle name