By owch - 23/11/2015 21:21 - United States - Maumee

Today, I learned that if I take my full dosage of Vicodin, I will throw up all day. I also learned that if I don't take my full dosage of Vicodin, I will be in excruciating pain all day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 362
You deserved it 1 552

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And then you learned that there's other kinds of painkillers

Vicodin isn't the only PK there is. See your doc for something else.

Comments

Cannabis doesn't work the same as Vicodin does, and will barely touch the pain. That's dangerous advice to give to someone in that much pain, I personally know how crippling it can be and telling someone to smoke weed rather than take real pain medication is incredibly insensitive of you.

MonstreBelle 28

Honestly, you don't know that. You don't know what she's being treated for, what other medications she may be taking that may be contraindicated, or what previous health problems she has had in the past. You don't know anything about her medical history and you've certainly never examined her. Marijuana when used responsibly under the careful supervision of a doctor can help a variety of patients just like any other medication, but it is not a wonderdrug that's a one size fits all solution.

If you're prescribed Vicodin, weed won't touch the pain you're having. It's a super strong pain medication for a reason.

#53 While you're right that I don't know what they're being treated for and I haven't examined them, I do know what it's like being treated for excruciating chronic pain and autoimmune diseases, so have been on enough painkillers and met with enough doctors to know what I'm talking about when I say that marijuana will not come close to Vicodin in terms of pain relief. Medications such as Vicodin aren't prescribed easily, the doctor will look into what other medications and conditions they currently have or have previously have and make the decision over whether it's safe or not. Cannabis is also illegal in Ohio, so would not be able to be used under the care and supervision of her doctor. Although it can for some patients serve as a relief from nausea, with strong pain killers it frequently makes it worse as it's likely to cause lightheadedness, which will make the already present nausea a lot worse. Nausea is a common side effect of Vicodin and similar medications, especially when they have just started the course or just raised their dose, as it is clear the OP has. It should subside, although if it persists the OP should go to their doctor and discuss other treatment options, such as oxycodone, which may be better and cause less nausea, or the same levels of nausea only for a shorter period of time.

MonstreBelle 28

83- My comment was towards 29 who originally started this thread, not you. I actually agree with you. I'm not against medical marijuana when it's used responsibly. What I have a problem are people who act like marijuana is a miracle drug that is the best option for everyone and everything thing. It's dangerous to say to someone that marijuana will solve their medical issues without knowing anything about their medical history. It's just not okay to tell OP to start taking a drug that isn't even legal here on Ohio to solve their their problem.

MonstreBelle 28

And just to be clear and avoid anymore confusion, what I mean by responsibly using medical marijuana is having a valid prescription and only using it under the careful supervision of a doctor, just like any other prescription medication. Since it's still illegal, it's not even possible to use it responsibly here in Ohio at this time.

#89 Ohhh, sorry I thought that was directed at me, my mistake. In that case, I agree 100% with you.

MonstreBelle 28

107- No worries, I can see how it could be confusing

I feel you OP. I have a chronic illness and it's always a toss up to decide if I want to deal with my symptoms or take something and deal with side effects instead. A lot of stuff makes me puke, too. Try talking to your doctor about either something like sucralfate to protect your stomach and/or something like granisetron to control the nausea. That helps for me but you'd obviously need to talk to your doctor about what is best for you. Good luck!!!

You may also be sensitive to hydrocodone or the large dose of axetominophen (Tylenol) in the Vicodin. They make pain killers without each of these which you might ask your doctor about. My mother is allergic to codeine, so she got a pain killer called darvocet after her wisdom teeth were taken out. As for the ones without Tylenol, I don't know the name of the medication.

The nausea is a side effect, not an intolerance or an allergy. It's normal when starting a high dose of painkillers such as Vicodin, the OP should see if there are any anti-emetics or omeprazoles that could help (depending on medical history of course). The nausea should die down within a month, though if it does persist then it would be better for them to try painkillers such as oxycodone, as long as their doctor authorises it. I know when I first started morphine, few years ago now, it was hell for the first few weeks from the nausea and Lightheadedness, but the body does adjust and get used to taking such a high dose of painkillers each day.

It's a good thing doctors prescribe anti nausea meds with pain meds.

MaydayParadexx 18

Something similar happened to me when I broke my sternum. I broke out in rashes that wouldn't stop itching. I told my doctor and they just put me on prescription levels of ibuprofen. It all worked out :) Good luck!

smoke weed, natural medicine. wont hurt to try

But it won't get rid of the pain. I used to use Vicodin before I had it raised to morphine and marijuana won't compare to proper pain medication. I'm all for the legalisation of weed, but telling someone to smoke that rather than taking their proper medication is just plain wrong. Be careful. It could do a lot of damage giving someone that advice, and would definitely put the OP in a lot of pain.

I have the same reaction with endone. morphine doesn't do anything either. I'm allergic to tramadole. I know the feelings when it comes to mess xD. call your specialist and try something else

This is totally insensitive, but is that, or is it not, the drug that the character Dr. Gregory House is addicted to??? I can't recall...

You're probably allergic to it, consult your doctor and get a replacement. Hell, I'm allergic to Vicodin, too. After I had surgery they changed my painkillers when they found out I was allergic.

It's unlikely they're allergic to it if the only symptom they have is vomiting and nausea. That's more likely just the body adjusting to the dosage, it happened to me when I first started taking morphine but it does usually pass, unlike an allergy. If they were allergic then they would get symptoms even if they didn't take the full dose, and as they have just found out what happens if they take the full dose then it's more than likely it's only the body adjusting, nausea is a very common side effects for this type of pain killer.