By Good choice cat - 24/02/2014 19:05 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I learned that I'm the only person in my family that our new cat likes. She sleeps on my bed and always sits in my lap and despises everyone else. I'm allergic to cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 700
You deserved it 4 509

Same thing different taste

Top comments

close the door to you room and keep the cat out! That's what I have to do too :) or take meds

Comments

If you're allergic to cats, why the hell would your family go out and buy one? There must be something wrong with them.

Not necessarily. It was inconsiderate, yes. But perhaps OP is old enough to move out. I'm deathly allergic to the little demons, as cute as they may be, so my mom refrained from getting a cat for the house. She did, however, tell me that after I turn Eighteen she'll allow a nine month grace period (I told her I would live in a Dorm for college) for me to move out. If I wasn't out within said time, she would get a cat regardless of me living with her since she went 16+ years without one. Maybe OP is in this situation?

the comments on here are mindblowing.so am I and I have 4 cats as long as you take pills and wash your hands after petting it you will be fine :)

that's very common with cats, as they usually like ti low key - and the most low key person to a cat is the person trying to avoid her

Just take some pills and avoid touching your face after you pet it. Or simply get an allergy shot.

doraaa01 7

And that's why she likes you. Cats generally love their owners but if there is someone who hates cats or is allergic or avoids them they decide that's their new best friend.

So true. My best friend is not fond of pets, and every time he comes over they flock to him.

That's cute but horrible Hope the medication helps or if you ignore the cat enough it may find another best friend...

So? I'm highly allergic to cats and have lived with them all my life - currently have five. The one I'm allergic to most likes me the best and lies on my face. I understand the allergies are horrible, but be happy this cat has chosen you. It's a great honor. In the meantime, take an antihistamine.

I commend you. I'm allergic as well, and I could never live with cats. my reactions are too severe even with benadryl.

Mine get too bad even Benadryl won't help and two years of allergy shots now don't help either... yet.

middlenamefrank 8

Most people with cat allergies are reacting to the dander, which sheds from their skin. Generally, cats keep themselves clean enough to prevent a reaction from them directly, but all that dander builds up throughout the house and can cause a reaction. My bro is allergic to cats, but when he's coming to visit, I clean my house thoroughly, top to bottom, and he can visit for hours with no problem. He's beginning to appreciate cats, too.

Your family members are probably giving her too much attention while you don't. I read it somewhere a while back but don't quote me. I'm a dog person.