By Tatteredgirl - 11/08/2016 13:31 - United States - Indianapolis

Today, I have been training a co-worker in a new position. After two months he still doesn't know how to do any of the work, and I'm stuck trying to do two jobs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 951
You deserved it 1 204

Tatteredgirl tells us more.

OP here. I told my managers after two weeks that the trainee just was not getting it. They told me to give him time to pick it up. Tell higher ups every other day that trainee is not working out and finally told them I would not be helping him anymore. He is sinking fast. Don't think he will be around much longer. I have trained a number of people for this position and they all have had it figured out within a couple of days. I don't think it's my training.

Top comments

dietcoke09 25

I don't understand how someone can work for a company for two months and still not know how to do their job? Something isn't right about that. Talk to your supervisor. You don't get paid for two jobs, stop stressing yourself.

Comments

Qabhadmus 13

I have the exact same problem. I don't want to see him get fired though cos he's going through a difficult time.

His difficult time might end up being your difficult time. If your supervisor realizes that you can do both jobs, he may let the other person go and assign you both positions. Let him go, it's your future too.

Tell his supervisor what's up. Some jobs have a probationary period and if he's not working out it is easier to get rid of him now rather than later

Maybe you're not very good at explaining?

Tell your supervisor he's a bad hire, if he's two months in and still doesn't know how to do the job.

You need to stop carrying the co-worker. Either you are not good at training or the person is leaning on you. Either way, you could be the one to get the blame because the co worker doesn't know the job. And how long can you carry them without a slip-up?

Sounds like my sex life. Just kidding, I don't have one.

stop helping him and tell him adapt or die. survival of the fittest is a very real concept some ppl refuse/don't understand.

It seems to me that if you've been training him for two months and he STILL can't do the work, he shouldn't be working with you guys, but good on you for sticking by him, OP.

He knows. He is just using you so he does not have to work.