By facepalm - 12/09/2011 08:07 - United Kingdom

Today, I had to explain to my boyfriend that a tornado is not the same thing as a hurricane. I couldn't convince him, and he still won't talk to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 133
You deserved it 3 807

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iAmScrubs 19

But...but...but... they both swirl.

Comments

luv_IXVIIIX 1

well I used to think hurricanes came from the ocean??? then again that was 3rd grade :/

when I was little I used to think the thick tornadoes were hurricanes and the thin ones were tornadoes.

jad56_fml 0

Technically they are. They both have an eye of the storm(middle) also they both have wind and rotation and created by warm and cold fronts coming together which makes the storms. One is just over water and has waves created by the wind.

Splayd 10

The reason your logic is not logic is because a "dust devil" is also a tornado, but it is only created by wind and dirt. It doesn't matter how many similarities there are: It only takes one major difference for it to be something different. The problem here, though, is that the boyfriend is demonstrating an excellent example of simple human nature: We are argumentative, arrogant, prideful creatures who, for some reason, HATE accepting new information. I once argued with a girl about Romeo and Juliette; I have never even read the book or seen the play, so why on EARTH was I so adamantly arguing with her? Simple: Because I was a child. We, as a species, need to grow up.

These terms can be confusing because of how they are used. Technically, a cyclone (lower case) is ANY rotating low pressure system (rotating counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, or clockwise in the southern hemisphere). Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones (note upper case) are the same thing but are termed by where they exist. The tropical cyclone is called a hurricane (if sustained winds are at least 65 knots) over the Atlantic basin and the eastern Pacific Ocean, while over the western Pacific it is called a Typhoon. The same type of system is called a Cyclone over the Indian Ocean area (one recently struck Bangladesh) A tornado is another type of cyclone that is born in thunderstorms. In some cases, tropical cyclones can produce many tornadoes if conditions are right.

You are wrong and he is right deal with it. They both are dangerous and are a swirling high powered wind