By branwen5 - 09/10/2009 02:26 - United States

Today, I had my final divorce proceeding. The judge denied my divorce because my husband is unemployed. I can't get a divorce until he gets a job to pay child support. He hasn't had a job for 3 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 746
You deserved it 3 838

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't know much about divorce proceedings but I am guessing this doesn't normally happen, so I would recommend maybe trying to get another judge for the case? Just a suggestion, don't know if it will help.

bigcrazymike 6

I'm calling bullshit. Unless you have some backwards ass hick for a judge, he shouldn't give two ***** about bankrupting your already jobless husband for that child support money.

Comments

WHY did the jidge ruled that your husband should pay for child support instead of you??

Lichinamo 33

Maybe it's because SHE'S getting custody of the kids instead of him? That's generally how child support works.

Your husband may be a deadbeat loser or he may be a wonderful, caring, stay-at-home dad, but no matter what he is he should not have to pay you **** all. If you were supporting a husband and kids with your income before the divorce, then you would only be supporting kids after it. Your expenses would go down by the cost of living of one husband. This would give you MORE financial stability and freedom than you had before the divorce. I find it very hard to believe that you don't even have the CHOICE to forfeit your receipt of child support in order for the divorce to go through. I'm willing to bet that you just won't take that option. If my hunch is correct, then you're a greedy bitch, OP, and YDI.

Ultimate_Cynic 0

Such are the pitfalls of marriage. Love is giving someone the power to hurt you worse than anyone else could, and trusting them not to. As an extension, marriage is giving someone the power to royally screw up your life for years to come, and trusting them not to. Around half the time, that trust is misplaced.

Lil_Red777 21

Um they're his kids too he should ******* take care of them.

Ultimate_Cynic 0

Yeah, this seems a bit goofy. I would definitely get another judge to hear the case; I can think of a couple I've known who'd have stuck him with a job in the county clerk's office or something. I mean, did the judge not even consider the possibility that his being unemployed for 3 years might have been a contributing factor to the divorce in the first place? Yeesh.

AntiChrist7 0

You shouldn't have married a lazy ass. YDI

Holy shit! You can actually be denied divorce!? WTF is wrong with this country!?

BS! The ability to pay child support has nothing to do with holding up a divorce. The judge can deny on grounds but that's not one of them. Something tells me the OP isn't telling the whole story (I know, that's so rare here!).

Jenspaztic 0

i think you need a better lawyer. most judges that see you're husband has been unemployed 3 years will push the divorce faster so you have one less person to support other than your kids. the only way child support would be an issue is if OP told the lawyer that she had to get child support immediatly after the divorce. most OP the time if the husband is unemployed then the divorce will go through and once he becomes employed child support back pay will start.

# 29 and # 26 make very good points. We NEVER get ALL the story in FML's. Nature of the beast. I think OP has a gf that's living easy off her child support (meaning the $ isn't going to the kids) and wanted the same deal. The judge saw what was going on and ruled accordingly. Ironic that she can't get her husband to get a job but thinks the court can.

Doesn't mean they can refuse the divorce. The judge might just rule that no alimony or support payments are in order. You can't force someone to force someone else to get employment to leave their sorry ass. What the hell kinda logic is that?

why didnt you divorce him sooner? hes clearly a lazy ass.

my mom's been unemployed for well over 18 years. is she a lazy ass? sexist asshole.