By Anonymous - 02/05/2012 22:41 - Canada - Winnipeg

Today, I had a chest x-ray. I thought everything was okay, that is until the tech gasped slightly and muttered, "Mother of God." I asked him what was wrong, and he kept insisting he had no idea what I was talking about. Now I'm so upset I can't even sleep. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 086
You deserved it 2 471

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, he can't say jack shit to him. He's a tech - his job is to take the X-ray, not to interpret it. It would be ethically reprehensible for the tech to tell him anything. It's just as wrong for the tech to say what he did.

Wow, the amount of ignorance swirling around here is staggering. You're all wrong. The tech is not supposed to say anything, so no one got trolled. And the amount of radiation from a chest X-ray is 0.1 mSv, or the same radiation you're exposed to just living for 10 days.

Comments

butterflyz1961 2

He was probably just messing with you.

Uhm yeah you don't mess with something like that if that's the case the tech should get fired immediately

As a tech he is not allowed to "read" or interpret the x-rays, that has to be a doctor. So even if he saw something bad he cannot tell you what it was. you should have asked that the tech bring a doctor in to the room.

find out his name and lodge a complaint.

Technicians aren't allowed to give results because they don't have the proper training, but you can always ask to see it. You can also call the lab and tell them you need a copy of the film and the report. You can have the results before you see your doctor. Also, if you ask to see it most likely you can tell what it by asking the tech leading questions like "what types of things cause that shape or color/ density?"

My best friends a Radiologic Tech. He let me in on the secret that they really can't read them. Also. If he was able to see anything he/she could lose their job and license if they told you ANYTHING. I'm sure you're fine. He was probably muttering about how shitty a job he did or something!

FajitaFreak 3

I would not worry. A couple years ago, I had a similar experience and they would not tell me what was wrong. I still feel fine, and honestly, you know your body better than any silly test.

Why are you worried? You really think that I something was really wrong you wouldn't have been treated? That's the whole purpose of an x ray.