By Anonymous - 10/05/2009 20:36 - United States

Today, I got stopped for shoplifting at a department store. They took me back to the security room and showed me the tapes. I was taking my own designer lipgloss that I had bought a month before out of my purse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 62 237
You deserved it 4 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

so_me_fml 0

Meanwhile the kid ACTUALLY shoplifting quietly walks out the door...

What how could they do that?! I hope they let you off, because they had no proof that it wasn't already yours...

Comments

marshmallow_ 0

LOL I HELPED MODERATE THIS ONE TO BE CHOSEN!!

Wow, I hope you got an apology when they realized you weren't actually shoplifting. Even though it was undoubtedly really embarrassing, I bet the expressions on their faces when the videos proved you innocent were classic.

elara15 0

Did you get off? Wouldn't they also need video footage of you originally pocketing the lipstick? I worry about this, too, when I wear jewelry from a store like Forever 21 while I'm shopping there. I don't shop too often, but I tend to wear the same things.

I'd LMAO if someone else really did shoplift while they had brought you in to see the tape.

They do, I'm not sure why, but they do. Probably a scare tactic

You can sue for rent-a-cops wrongly accussing you. At the very least complain to the company and let them know you will be expecting some free stuff! I hate going into shops where they insist on searching your bag as you come out regardless of all their other security measures, it's rude and embarrassing.

I would have called the cops while I was back there for wrongful imprisonment. Rent-a-cops have no right to keep you anywhere without your consent.

I hate places that do that... I've had security check my bag a few times because I carry both my Nintendo DS and my iPod touch with me to use on rides to and from shopping places and I use my iPod touch as a shopping list most of the time. They're sure I stple them until I point out the mass amount of information stored in the iPod as well as the fact that the DS is a limited edition model, not available through retail. I should consider suing these jackasses sometime.

This is why, no matter what, I do not reach into my backpack (which I use as a purse/carry-all) for any reason whatsoever when I am in a store. If I need to apply lipgloss or whatever, I do it before entering or after leaving the store. I do sometimes keep a little pad of paper with a pen and a tube of half-used gloss in my hoodie pocket though. Then they can't accuse me of shoplifting.

They have no legal basis to search or detain you. It is voluntary on your part. Same with checking your bags/receipt. If you keep walking they can't do a thing about it, and if they do you can sue. Unless of course they are on duty police officers.