By Regina - 03/07/2009 06:19 - United States

Today, I got a job selling knives. I had training for 11 hours. At the end of the training session, the instructor promptly informed everyone that they had to pay $145 for a set of demo knives. I paid the $145. I went home and learned that it was a scam. I went back for a refund. They said no. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 415
You deserved it 55 549

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Haha lol that sucks...let me guess it was that student for part time work where you can get like $15/appointment lol Yeah I've seen that before too and I almost went untill I googled it haha

Comments

yeah i set up an interview with Vector. when i found out that you had to pay for demo knives i didnt show up for the interview and they have been calling me ever since for weeks. if it wasnt a scam , why would they want me to 'work' for them so bad! dont fall for it, Vector's a JOKE.

wearinsexypants 0

Vector isn't really a scam, it's just a lot harder than it seems. My lil bro's gf started it this summer, and she got about 3 weeks done before she realized she just didn't know enough people who needed knives, and didn't have it in her to sell to complete strangers. It only really works if you have a very large social network and are very outgoing, and it would be a plus to have a good economy since the knives are exxy and no one wants to buy that now. Anyway that's why i'm sitting around with no summer job instead of selling Cutco.

Hahaha must be Vector...my ex works for them and he called me last month asking if he could "practice" his sales pitch for my parents...which apparently he would get paid for. I knew it was sketchy when he wouldn't even tell me what he was trying to sell. A couple weeks later I got their letter, Googled the company, looked at THEIR website, and realized it was a scam. It's the "grown-up" version of selling wrapping paper in middle school. One or two kids get the bike, and everyone else gets a Chinese finger-trap and enough wrapping paper to last them 'til college.

i used to work for them too. quit right after training. knives are great. company succccks.

Hahaha, Vector/Cutco? Yeah, that was actually my first job after graduating from high school. It's not really a scam, but they do mislead you with the $15/hour line. It's totally based on commission. So you're not going to be making GOOD money unless you have the right personality and can smooth talk and pressure strangers into buying knives they probably don't need. I managed to make a couple hundred bucks after about a month, but the job was just so crappy that I couldn't stand it any longer. Too many B.S. motivational lectures and weekly meetings. I have to admit, the quality of the knives are really good though. And they have a lifetime warranty if they ever break or need sharpening. Also, yes, you have to pay $145 for the demo knife set, but at the end you're allowed to sell it back for a refund (or at least we were able to back then). I agree with jackjohn810, the actual scam is guilting your friends and family to buy stuff from you.

YDI. Remember, a legit job should NEVER ask you for money!! Especially that much!

the knives r actually really good i love my cutco its really hard to sell but if ur willing to sit through the training process they give u like half off i got my cutco for $99 and i love them

Ahhh good old Vector. Total scam. Stupid unpaid training. I quit after my first day of trying to make appointments. This job is impossible to do if you don't have a car. And since they won't take their knives back, just use some quality Cutco cutlery. The Cutco stuff is great. Vector marketing sucks.

Yeah, that sounds like Cutco to me. I worked for Vector for about a week. Its not only a scam, but its a complete waste of time.