By Regina - 03/07/2009 06:19 - United States

Today, I got a job selling knives. I had training for 11 hours. At the end of the training session, the instructor promptly informed everyone that they had to pay $145 for a set of demo knives. I paid the $145. I went home and learned that it was a scam. I went back for a refund. They said no. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 417
You deserved it 55 550

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Haha lol that sucks...let me guess it was that student for part time work where you can get like $15/appointment lol Yeah I've seen that before too and I almost went untill I googled it haha

Comments

Bet it was vector. That place is a hoax. All I've seen the people do is get drunk at work and screw each other. Disgusting

LittleMel4 0

#209 LOL, you must have worked someplace else cause I never saw that #202 funny, Every interview I went on has been very impressed with the skills I learned at Vector

Clever but you fool no one. If you take this job you will NEVER get laid because you will be BROKE after they steal all your money! These posts are Vector reps defending their brand! THEY ARE SCAMMERS! Don't let them steal your money!!

Are they paying you money for these fake posts? Vector marketing on a resume = automatic fail and humiliation!

My hat is not tin foil, its aluminum. Tin foil doesn't protect me from alien manipulation.

CRAZY!! I just got a phone call from Vector Marketing and they offered me $50 to stop making posts about them on this board. I have no idea how they got my number. NEVER!! I WILL NOT LET YOU SCAM THE PEOPLE SCAMMERS!! THESE GUYS WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY! THEIVES!!

LittleMel4 0

clearly, everything you read on the internet is true.

No it was Vector. My boyfriend worked there for 5 months. I went there a lot with him and saw what happened. If you look up the meetings on the peoples facebooks, they all have alcohol and some are talking about ******* at work. The meetings are bullshit and you dont learn life skills from vector. They just steal ur money and turn anyone who involves themselves into cocky jerks. It's funny and it is like a cult. I plan to turn that branch in, who knows maybe they aren't all the same but the one near me is a ridiculous brainwashing waste of time.

I love how the company is trying to save its ass in some comments here. Here's a tip, Vector or whatever your company is called: **** off, you're too obvious.

SpicyDorito 0

my boyfriends meetings werent like that, they did have sorta social parties afterwards though. but maybe yours were ****** up, probably a shit manager.

bradleybones 0

...I live right by the factory that makes it. And i actually work there. Its not a scam... and whoever tells you its a scam either a) sucked at it and quit or b) didnt even try it and quit. I make a hella ton of money there, and if youre seriously crying about having to spend money to start working...you think ups doesnt make you buy uniforms? fed ex? they must be scams too... and yes. you can get your money back on the knives. it was a security deposit, tool. And the company is in REDICULOUS amounts of business books for college, and they all praise the company. Theres nothing scam about it.

bradleybones 0

LOL these posts are from vector reps that arent people like you who saw something on google and believed the first thing they read on the internet. Honestly..90% of america = paranoid and dillusional

LIES!!! VECTOR IS A HUGE SCAM!! YOU'RE INSANE IF YOU PAY FOR A JOB!! BEWARE THE FAKE POSTERS WHO ARE PAST OF VECTOR!!

Uh, please let us know the titles of these "REDICULOUS amounts of business books" that Vector is supposedly featured in. I'm a business major and I've only heard bad things about Vector.

Deposit implies yo get your money back. Sticks and stones!

WitchCirce 0

Oh man, I have sympathy. I got taken in by these Vector/Cutco pricks, too. I get to find out in ten business days whether or not I get a refund on my sample kit. They also somehow managed to lose some money off of the paycheck I did get before I quit. Bastards.

They don't have to pay for your training because you are not an employee, you are a contractor. You have to pay to work for them because they need to cover the cost of the knives you are taking out to demonstrate. If they didn't do that then any person could just come in, say they want to work for them and take home a nice set of knives gratis, not exactly a sound business plan. The other alternative would be to send people out without product to demonstrate with. It's kind of hard to sell something that you can't show to potential customers. Trust me, they aren't making money off of making kids buy a $600 set of knives for $145 bucks. The money you pay only covers the cost. They make their money off of the high margin they have on the products because they both produce and sell it. Vector itself is not set up as a scam. However, most of the interactions that people have with the company are with the District Managers. From what I can tell, Vector does not do a very good job of watching over these managers. District Managers are always people who were successful sales people (minimum $25,000 in sales). As such, they tend to be very type A and very ambitious. This can lead so some shady characters becoming managers. In my time there I met a lot of awesome very cool managers and a lot of very sketchy managers that often don't give you the whole truth with various situations. The good managers are completely straight up and usually the most successful. I'm fairly certain that they people on here that had bad experiences were mostly likely in an office that was run by one of these less than wholly moral individuals.