By Brupopy - 27/12/2016 01:11

Today, I found out that my mother has been pretending that I'm a woman so that she doesn't have to tell her colleagues that she has a gay son. Apparently this has been going on for the past four years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 823
You deserved it 995

Brupopy tells us more.

OP here, thank you all for the replies!! Just to confirm she's not religious at all or anything like that and acts as if she's really supportive to my face before going behind my back and acting as if it's demonic or something. The awkward part, though, is that my younger sister came out as lesbian a few years ago too, and my mother was more than happy to discuss her and her girlfriend, but despite myself having been out to her for 8 years now, she still seems to be really awkward about me dating guys. Also, to the few individuals who suggested that I must look like a girl, I'm more of a beard and suit sort of guy personally. On another note, thank you to those who suggested calling her my father and going into her work place in Drag; I'll be staying with her next month for a little while and may have to borrow one of my sister's dresses and cosplay wigs to roll up to her workplace - along with unshaven legs and face, whilst maintaining the usual booming man voice, of course.

Top comments

now just pretend your mother is your father so you won't have to tell everybody that your mother is a bitch

Pretty sure everyone understands she did it cause she's homophobic or doesn't have a backbone to defend op if there's homophobic coworkers. Not really much to misunderstand here.

Comments

FYL indeed! Was she doing it so that she could talk about OP's boyfriend at her work. It seems like she is more supportive of her "daughters" boyfriend than OP ( in my opinion with limited information) She won't be winning any mother of the year awards- that's for sure

She has a son...I don't understand why she'd ever need to use the Gay qualifier with her coworkers.

I would take a gay child over the lazy free loading, unemployed, didn't finish high school, drug addicted prick of a child I have now.... position available

Ouch. I hope your child hasn't succeeded so far in life because you were always this emotionally abusive. Many drug users are self medicating emotional troubles/disorders.

So that's ridiculously messed up. But if it bothers her that much, she could just pretend you're a straight guy...

Why pretend anything? OP's Mom could just talk about her child. There is no need to indicate if her child is gay, straight, purple, or green.

With that line of thinking she should just say she has no children. ****!! accept people for who they are and claim loved ones.... Who cares about what other judgy people think!

This sounds like something my mother would do. I feel with you, #gaypride

call her, tell her a girl has turned your life around and ask her to invite all her coworkers to the wedding.

The last thing we need is more people adding to the thought you can make a gay person straight, revenge or not.

Smart move, mom! Much less awkward when your colleagues and son discover you've been lying about your child's gender rather than being honest and considerate of said child's feelings and risking offending a few homophobic co-workers. Your son should be so emabarrased for putting you in a position that requires integrity.

Turn up to her work, introduce yourself on an unexpected visit and let them find out the truth Your mum is an idiot

Wow that sucks OP. At least you came out to her that takes a lot of courage.

IcyDarcy 10

I'm confused, why would OP's mom tell her colleagues about his personal life so much that she has to lie to them ? I mean, if her colleagues don't know OP is a guy, they obviously never met him. So, why would his mother feel the need to tell them more than, "I have a son, he's in a relationship." ? At worst, she could lie and say OP has a girlfriend. That would make a lot more sense than saying he's a woman, and it would be a lot easier to explain if her colleagues ever meet him.