By KHAAAAA-RMA!! - 10/05/2014 21:32 - United States

Today, I found a bird that had fallen from its nest, so I made a new nest for it in a shoebox and put it as close to the old one as possible. When I checked back on it later, all I found was a chewed-up corpse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 839
You deserved it 6 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You basically served it up on a platter.

Nature has a weird way of governing the world.

Comments

That's rough, OP. One time I tried to take care of a baby bird that had fallen from its nest, too. When I found it dead I flipped it over to see it covered in maggots. I cried.

You did the best you could. It could have gone two ways, death by el gato, or starvation from mamma bird disowning it (they won't care for their young if a human has handled it). If you had done nothing, the cat would have still found it. It was a lose-lose situation, don't beat yourself up for it. You made one cat very happy, try to focus on that. Plus, kitty didn't bring it home as a present for their human. Two positives, one sad and inevitable negative.

It's not true that a bird will abandon their chicks if they have been handled by a human.

No, but it's stronger siblings will throw it out of the nest. Like they did the first time.

That's a bit of a stretch. Some nestlings will get pushed out of the nest by their siblings or tossed by their parents, but sometimes they just fall out (mostly if it is a hot day and they are trying to cool down by stretching out, or if they get caught on their parents feet when the parents leave the nest). I've put lots of chicks back in their nests with no problems.

And that is why you should never pass up a free meal.

You did the right thing OP...sorry it died

OhNoAGhost 18
damnit1989 16

Are the same person that tried to save a moldy potato a while back? I think it's time for you to just leave all birds and anything you think is a bird, alone.

you should know you can't touch a bird that's a baby. the mom will either neglect it or attack it because of the human scent.

That's a myth. They don't do that.

You should know that that is a myth and absolutely not true, especially since birds have a poor sense of smell in the first place.

It's great that you tried, but if it ever happens again, you are supposed to put the bird back into it's original best otherwise it mother most likely won't find it.

Note: A mother bird will NOT kill it's baby if a human touches it! They have poor sense of smell, and usually would prefer their kids alive. Sometimes if there's a weak baby in a bunch they might feed it to the others though.

Yea you shouldn't have touched the bird all though it was a nice gesture, the momma bird will kill the babies if they smell human on them.