By KHAAAAA-RMA!! - 10/05/2014 21:32 - United States

Today, I found a bird that had fallen from its nest, so I made a new nest for it in a shoebox and put it as close to the old one as possible. When I checked back on it later, all I found was a chewed-up corpse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 839
You deserved it 6 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You basically served it up on a platter.

Nature has a weird way of governing the world.

Comments

#7 I think OP is implying that it's cats that tend to chew up small animals like birds, a dog would more then likely either not bother it or just swallow the whole thing

How dare you throw such a wild conjecture. Those kind of assumptions and accusations will get you shot.

hokie16 13

I just figured it was a cat because birds don't generally climb trees. lol... Though I guess it could have been a small tree or a bush.

hokie16 13

*Because DOGS don't usually climb trees. lol.

And I bet you hate cats while chewing on your chicken sandwich. I'm not saying go vegan or it's bad to eat meat. I'm saying it's hypocritical to hate cats for eating birds when you eat birds yourself. A robin or a sparrow is no better than a chicken.

48 What, because my dog brought in a bird the other day? Just trying to be helpful...

it was most likely its mother. They don't like people to touch their babies. OP should have left it alone. I thought this was common knowledge?!?

53, that whole thing about mothers rejecting their babies because they were touched by a human is not true.

guckylynn 19

It could have also been a squirrel, or a chipmunk, or anything really. It could've been another type of bird or the mother bird might have even done it. Maybe the mother bird had rejected it in the first place and it was on the ground because she had kicked it out of the nest. You never know.

Nature has a weird way of governing the world.

That bird must have done some seriously evil stuff. Like annexing Bird Poland, or initiating the Great Flap Forward in Bird China.

martin8337 35

It could have been a member of owl quaida.

martin8337 35

Or the gangster Owl Capone.

BunchieRules 31

You missed "Clucks" but that is a top notch pun, and I tip my hat to you.

BunchieRules 31

I actually thought about adding "clucks," but by then it was too late to edit my comment. Oh well, hoo cares...

You basically served it up on a platter.

And putting the apple in its mouth to try to help feed it might have made it look more appetizing.

How unpheasant! At least you didn't chicken out and actually tried to do the right wing...

Good work 24, nice to see some original puns!

#34, your profile picture, and #24's comment go hand in hand. Or should I say wing in wing?

x0frnak 13

sorry, op :( very sweet of you to do what you did though.

So you inevitably killed a baby bird.... Bird killer.

Except the bird probably would've died anyway, OP was just trying to give it a chance

OP did nothing wrong. More than most would have done, I'm sure.

cryssycakesx3 22

at least he didn't jam a drill through the bird. and it wasn't a potato!

Not likely. Most of the time that you find baby birds fallen out of nests, it's because they failed to fly. Most likely the mother was nearby and it would have gone back up.

I've heard that if a wild animal smells human on its babies it will kill it.. no idea if that's true but just what I've heard.

Birds don't have a sense of smell, that rumour was started to stop children touching fallen chicks and getting nasty diseases and parasites birds carry.

Then that makes sense because my mom told me that as a child when I found a baby bird on the ground by a tree haha

SDee1234 11

Birds can smell and if they can smell human on the babies they will kill them.

That's not true. Birds have a sense of smell, but it's very weak. The few exceptions that could identify the scent of human wouldn't care. Animals will rarely eat their babies because of a simple smell. Birds may move their nest though.

asnakelovinbabe 16

Birds DO have a sense of smell and many of them have amazing senses of smell, contrary to the old myths that they can't smell. However, The old wives tail about animals rejecting their babies if a person touches them is mostly myth... It was fabricated and exaggerated to stop kids from touching wild animals. Just another one of those myths we can't seem to stomp out yet... like the old "the fish or snake will only grow to the size of it's environment".... Total hogwash. Practically everyone seems to believe in these things without ever thinking to read up on it for themselves.

Most animals have instincts designed to protect the propagation of the species, the maternal instincts are some of the strongest. If a bird can smell the single touch of a human, it's only logical they can smell their own offspring even stronger. There's a bond or imprint made at birth between the mother and child, of most animals. A single touch from a human is unlikely to undo millions of years of behavioral evolution.

This isn't true. No animal to my knowledge will abandon or kill their young due to smell, but some might if a human scares them off. OP did the right thing.

flame5768 14

that's not birds.just..wow. idk how idiots go around thinking every animal kills it's child. ooh look at the elephant! OH GOD NO MAM ELEPHANT! WHY WHY!!!!!! it just killed it..just crushed it.

Some cat came along and said hey, a seat AND a snack. Tis the circle of life. you made one Tom very happy.

At least you tried to do a good thing in the last moments of its life.