By scared - 17/03/2015 21:35 - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I finally went to the doctor's about my severe anxiety. I'm so used to putting on a happy performance around people that she didn't believe anything was wrong with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 692
You deserved it 4 328

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you told her something was wrong and she didn't believe you or even try to help I would suggest finding a different doctor.

It's hard to let down all your walls to a stranger. I suggest getting some counseling that will allow you to gradually ease into it where you can get some real help.

Comments

I know how you feel. Try a psychologist of you haven't yet. Some tend to over examine sometimes, but they're pretty good at getting to the root of the problem.

Here in Australia it's really hard to get into a psychologist/psychiatrist without a referral from a General Practitioner, and most of the time GP's can give a diagnosis. I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but I guess it's different because everyone is telling OP to see a therapist.

It's more likely you had a shit doctor; it's extremely common for people with anxiety issues or depression to hide it from others, and a doctor should be aware of that.

That must feel really crappy. Unfortunately a doctor can only go by the symptoms that are showing. Be honest, it is an illness and nothing to be ashamed of! Once you open up you can get the help you need and it won't take over your life anymore! Good luck!!

Dillyduzit 23

Don't let this discourage you from seeking help; just try a different doctor. I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety and getting help was one of the best things I've ever done. If you need someone to talk to who understands, please feel free to message me.

Hope your ok, I'm sure you can find someone to help you

You would think as a doctor they would be aware that a lot of people have a tendency to act happy and that the doctor would still figure you have anxiety. I don't see how one visit could determine nothing was wrong anyway. Good luck OP! :)

first quality of a doctor is to believe in you..not question you...

I've been through the same thing, I wish you the best of luck on your journey

I totally feel you on this one. You could try keeping a diary or writing down your thoughts and showing it to someone if vocalising your problems is hard for you.