By Anonymous - 01/11/2014 05:47 - United States - Queen Creek

Today, I dressed up as my friend for Halloween. He has a very distinct style and I thought my costume was pretty clever. When he saw me, he said he had never been so offended in his entire life, and now I feel like a complete asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 544
You deserved it 16 552

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sorry to hear that OP! Let him know you didn't mean any harm? I'm sure he'll understand that you were just admiring him for his unique style ^^

Apologize and explanation to him that it was done as flattery and not disrespect. Hopefully you'll be forgiven.

Comments

That sucks that he took your costume the wrong way :/ Maybe next time stick to dressing up as fictional characters.

Don't sweat it OP, tell him to get over it. He should be flattered that someone thought of him to dress like him.

graphicstyle7 17

You, in all sincerity, wanted to help your friend. They CHOOSE to assume that you are "offending" them. This is what I would say to them. 1. I was not trying to offend you, I was trying to stay true to what I thought your style was. And 2. It's not good for ANY kind of relationship to assume something and fly off the handle, without at least asking what your intentions with the costume were. YOU are NOT responsible for someone else's choice of feeling in this matter, it's their problem, try not to make it yours.

Astrum14 24

A person being offended is rarely their problem. Usually it's the person being an insensitive ass, or else just a case of mixed signals.

I'm sorry to hear that OP! If you apologise and explain that it was only meant in a playful way and in no way meant to offend. Plus I would be pretty flattered if someone wanted to dress up as me for Halloween. Haha!

Justin briber and Selena Gomez did it for Halloween their not pissed at each other plus it's Halloween the one night can u be whatever he seriously ha a problem with that tell him to man up its halloween?

Nobody likes Justin Bieber, so this comment is irrelevant.

Axel5238 29

Sorry to hear that OP, but when it comes to dressing as someone else as halloween such as a celebrity or a pop culture figure it's usually done in a mocking sense. Since you dressed as your friend it's easy for them to think you were doing it to mock them. Unless, you both agreed on it it, it seems like an odd choice. I can see the conversation "What are you for halloween? I'm you. No wait I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you! Come back!".

i can understand why your friend was offended tbh, because normally on Halloween people dress up as typically scary things, monsters and witches. for you to then make him into a Halloween costume must have led him to believe you were saying he's just as bad as these things, maybe a "freak." but that's a really cool Halloween idea and I'm sure people who know the both of you would've been really impressed! just explain your good intentions and he might be more understanding

So the wide, wide range of characters such as Little Bo Peep, the various car hops and hippie costumes, and celebrity attire are all signs that we think these things are evil and awful? All the skunks and squirrels running around are demons? What about those Disney characters such as Elsa or Jasmine who were definitely not the evil ones in the movies? Halloween costumes are about dressing as something you aren't and having fun with it. They are not automatic proof that we find something to be bad, evil, or a freak.

But the original intention was to dress as something scary, its just been warped an twisted by the over commericalisation so that now you can dress up as whatever the hell you want.

ahippienamedrae 10

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

Maybe you should have asked him if it was okay for you to do that? I can see how it could be offensive, but I'm not sure it's your fault.