By krushr - 23/01/2011 05:32 - Canada

Today, I discovered I have bed bugs. I have nowhere else to sleep and I won't be able to afford a new mattress for at least a year. I'd better get used to these giant welts. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 311
You deserved it 5 330

Same thing different taste

Top comments

UpsidedownKayak 9

Anti-peasents? That's what is wrong with this kingdom, there are too many peasants. We need to find ways to motivate them to grow and harvest food more efficiently. The floggings are just not working like they used to do. That way we can increase our manpower for the construction of the castle. I would like it to be completed in thirty years so I can use the money left over for the training of knights. We also need to widen the forest by the road so there is safe passage through Sherwood Forest.

Apparently they are the only ones keeping you company in bed.

Comments

jbrox64 0

how about an air mattres.....

Eww I'm laying in bed now, this just gave me the shivers.

The last line is too much, it ruins it.

Don't sleep on the sofa! They will follow u there. Get bed bug mattress covers, reduce clutter in ur room especially around the bed and vacuum like crazy. Make sure u empty the vacuum cleaner outside. If u can afford and exterminator have them come spray. Exterminators r expensive but it's the best way to make sure they r gone and they r a little cheeper then a new bed. Good luck!

Their migration can be controlled using diatomaceous earth (but not the swimming pool filter variety). Don't listen to #177 because all a bug bomb will do is chase them into your baseboards where you'll have a hell of a time dealing with them. They are immune to the vast majority of consumer level pesticides anyways. If you must spray things to put your mind at ease I've had luck with pyrethene products which are delivered via an oil base. Believe it or not, atleast where I live Walmart is the best place to find said products. The diatomaceous earth can be found as various brands of powdered "chemical free insect killer." sometimes "Crawling insect killer". You're looking for a product that has on the label "xx% Silicon dioxide (as diatomaceous earth)", the higher the percentage the better. You'll know you're picking up the correct bottle because it weighs nearly nothing. Take caution when using it though because it can cause skin irritation (minor dryness for humans, probably not very pleasant for small pets though, although cats at least I know will avoid the stuff on their own), clings to clothing like nobodies business and it WILL destroy vaccuum cleaners. But it has little microscopic jagged edges on it, so if a crawling insect tries to cross it it will puncture the wax lining of their body and cause them to dehydrate in short order. So it can be used to isolate the particular room they are in. Basically consider an area within 3 meters of your bed, couch, and any chair with lots of nooks and crannies that you sit in for extend periods, including your body and clothing to be compromised. Although obviously a nice hot and thorough shower will help make sure they are out of your hair. Although in the past people have said you have to boil your clothing to clean it, I've found just setting your average washing machine to warm, and giving it an extra long dryer cycle works just fine. Use the diatomaceous earth to create migration barriers, isolating any compromised furniture and separating rooms in your house/apartment. Get some into your baseboards too. These are simply stop-gap measures though to limit their breeding/migration while you save up/wait for a professional. Your couch and mattress are unfortunately garbage now. But they have to remain in place until treatment. Depending on the exterminator a variety of methods are used, and they have access to chemicals that can kill the adults reliably, and leave residues behind that can stop the development of latter generations. Although an exterminator using the chemical method will be a lot cheaper, there will also be a lot of responsibility placed on you. You should find yourself being left a very precise list of instructions by the exterminator in this case, both pre treatment and post treatment. If you IGNORE said instructions, it's a pretty good chance that you will be reinfested shortly after. If you have the money some exterminators actually use more creative methods such as superheated dry steam treatment (no, your 'steam shark' won't work.), these are more effective, but generally also employed by higher cost exterminators. But yeah for your short game while you wait until you can afford to get the ball rolling, drink water next time you go out with your buddies, and for 20 bucks you can easily equip yourself with a bottle of diatomaceous earth and some pyrethene residue spray, used intuitively you might actually be able to keep them at bay. Also if you can afford to get an air mattress in the mean time, an air mattress surrounded by a line of diatomaceous earth in a room that you haven't been sleeping in (with the baseboards and threshhold of the room treated with diatomaceous earth) will keep you bite free. Your place won't exactly be suitable for hosting, but bedbugs can be a very psychologically scaring experience, and some bite-free nights will help to limit that scaring. If you live in an apartment depending on local regulations paying to bring in a professional might actually be on your landlord. Any adjacent unit to yours are also considered compromised. Walls don't stop them.

Everyone has bedbugs. Only when you never wash your sheets to you get so many it becomes a problem

Its not an easy thing to deal with but you CAN get on top of it :) Good luck!!!

dude you dont need to buy a new mattress just get a plastic casing for your mattress something airtight should kill'em in a few months, ive been where you are, i know how much it sucks and how paranoid you get when you wanna sleep at night ! there are ways OP dont give up !

Mak8813 0

Buy a sleeping bag & a yoga mat. Sleep on the floor. It'll do wonders for your back, too. I did it for 6 months. No bad at all. Also, 'Back to Bed' has affordable matresses, if you have one by you. I bought mine for $200. Memory foam, too.