By Anonymous - 11/06/2013 16:11 - United States - Barrington

Today, I decided to try wearing eyeshadow, even though I'm not that girly. When I asked for help after several failed attempts, my sister walked in and said, "It's easy, just do what I do." She put the makeup on herself and looked amazing. She's eight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 989
You deserved it 6 848

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Am I the only one wondering why the 8 year old is wearing make up?

Teddzz 19

Comments

Teddzz 19

my little sister's been experimenting with my make up since she was about 7. she's actually taught me a few tricks now. as long as it's only play and she doesn't go to school looking like a drag queen i don't see a problem

As long as she doesn't go to school looking like a man pretending to be a woman? That... what?

Am I the only one wondering why the 8 year old is wearing make up?

I'm curious as to why the parents are letting her.

titibug823 11

No, I was about to ask the same thing. Sure, I had interest in make up when I was eight, but didnt learn how to actually put it on until I was 12 or 13!

Misswildsides 22

Some girls just grow up too fast. No 8 year old needs to wear make-up. Learn to accept your beauty, ladies! :)

i say if the girl can pay for her own makeup then let her, but i wouldn't buy it for her

I've seen an 8 year old wear more make-up than a friggin French *****! It's ridiculous! I don't get why parents allow their young kids to go out looking trashy. But that's just me.

It looks as if the Honey Boo-Boo effect has begun! Hide your children before it's too late!!!

My 6 year old has makeup that I let her use when she's playing dress up. It's all natural, and very easy to wash off, but she loves it, and is pretty good at applying it. She knows to wash it off before we go out anywhere, so I see nothing wrong with it.

Dawnstempest 17

Why not? If you plan on wearing makeup later, you might as well be allowed to start early so you get really good at it. Parents let their kids dance, draw, however they want to express themselves and have fun from a very early age. Make up is no different for many children. It's just fun. It isn't like all of the kids are thinking "Oh I better put it on so people will like me." Many just think, "It's a grown up thing -- it's what Mommy and Daddy and Older Sister get to do and it's so cool. I get to be all grown up by doing it too."

I came in here wondering the same thing

@48 The point is that the kid is NOT a grown up, so why let them wear it like they are one? Children these days are being taught that its ok to grow up way before their time. Childhood is such a special thing that people should be helping their children to preserve, not promote growing up the second they are out of diapers. And many little girls DO in fact think they have to wear to makeup to fit in or get boys to like them. Also, you referred to a little girl liking makeup because her mom, older sister, and DADDY do it? I don't see why daddy would be wearing makeup unless he's a drag queen.

I was wondering the same thing. next thing you know, she'll be texting her boyfriend on her iPhone 5. little kids these days are growing up way too fast

B1ackthesun 31

She may be good at using it just from playing with it a lot. When I was that age my mother would give me her old unwanted makeup to play with. I loved using it and even got quite good at it. But there is no way I was ever allowed out of the house with it on. Could be a similar situation here.

Meh. I used to play with makeup since I was four. I thought I looked so grown up, but I probably looked like a clown. lol Sometimes my mom even let me *gasp* wear it in public! It's sad that people look at children wearing makeup and think they look too "sexualized" or like "french ******". Maybe the girl just wanted to dress up? Or look like a grown up? Or wanted to copy mommy? There isn't always a sinister side to girls wearing makeup. Playing with makeup is fun. Even little

Daughters love to imitate their moms. It's been happening for ages and will continue to do so. This is nothing new. I use to watch my mom put on makeup as a child and she would show me how and let me dress up at home. Reeeelax.

If only female insecurity wasn't passed down to the little girls...

Right because all women who wear make up do so because they are insecure (rolls eyes).

Just to clarify, I have no problem with little girls playing with makeup from time to time. I only think it's wrong when they wear it on a regular basis.

Damn, I knew the internet was judgmental but this is a little much. It's make-up, she's not out on the street corner. Make-up for many is an art form, and interest can start at a young age -- it doesn't mean that OP's little sister is growing up too fast or anything. And there's nothing wrong with wearing make-up, it doesn't mean you're insecure or don't think you're beautiful. It's about looking how you want to look. What OP's sister is doing equates to an 8 year old picking out her own clothes. Nothing wrong with that.

aka_Specs 7

Its called Piss-Poor-Parenting...and like obesity, it too, is becoming an epidemic

#66 I am not insecure. I would also like to know if you have had any personal experience with "female insecurity"...oh wait, you're a guy.

No you're not. That's a bit odd, even more so that she does it often enough to be a pro. It's actually quite sad that she's getting into it at such a young age instead of learning to accept natural beauty.

@54 firstly 48's comment about copying her father was probably not meant as makeup specific, just saying that children imitate those around them. And even if it was, so he's a drag queen. Get over it. Then there is your statement about kids growing up to fast. Sorry, but they're not really growing up any faster than they have before. Girls could be married at 13 in the middle ages yet nowadays some mothers apparently have a problem with their daughters moving out at 21. Or in my parents generation children could, and did, move out of home and get a job at 14 yrs. Allowing a child to wear makeup you are not making them grow up too fast. They just want to wear pretty things and copy mummy. Would you call walking around the house in mummy's "pretty" shoes forcing them to grow up. Because it is basically the same thing in my book.

Idk same reason i wonder why I've seen kids as young as 3 with cell phones.

Because she wants to? It's not that hard to figure out.

I think It's wrong that some people are jumping to conclusions saying she's a "*****". Wearing makeup at a young age doesn't make you a ***** it makes you feel grown up. When I was younger I used to play around with my moms makeup. I never did it because I was insecure but because it made me feel grown up. I never actually knew how to put it on right until I was about 13. But as you get older you start wearing it for different reasons to feel pretty or cover up "flaws". I don't see any harm in it

Because some like doodling or painting on paper whereas others like doing that on their faces. It's not that sinister.

When I was little, I had a make-up kit for kids. It had green lipstick. Do you think I was insecure that my natural lip color wasn't beautiful, or that I just thought it was really cool that I could wear green lipstick? For many kids, wearing make-up is like drawing on your face. And, sure, there might be a couple that think they need it to be beautiful, but, that goes for a lot of things. Some people eat healthy for the soul reason that they don't want to be overweight because they think overweight isn't beautiful, does that mean you should not feed your kids health food and make them obese? Or does it mean that you should just explain that healthy food makes our bodies last longer and feel better? Same goes with make-up. Explain that it's just a fun thing, like art. As for people saying that the little girls look like ******, that's kinda... wow. Kids usually love colorful things, so, their make-up is probably going to be a lot more colorful than natural, it's their creativity.

Not that big of a deal, i loved wearing make up when i was younger, but as i grew up i just didnt care for it as much, and now i barely ever wear it. Just because you like to wear it when your younger doesn't mean your gonna grow up to fast or etc.

My parents yelled at my for drawing "****" on the wall . BS

YouTube is glorious when it comes to learning new things!

Agreed! There are hundreds of videos that teach you about putting on make-up. It takes up a solid part of the YouTube site.

It even teaches you how babies are born, by showing a few videos of them. Kind of weird to upload though.

I agree. One of my favourite YouTube make up videos was the step by step of Gwen Stefani's make up from the music video "Ex-Girlfriend". (Teardrops and all.) (:

ThirstyGrunt 6

How is your entire life ****** just because your sister knows how to use make up?This is why I don't get why some of these are "FML"'s on this site.

ask her to do your makeup for your everyday ☺

Don't take it so hard, it just comes naturally to some people. Atleast you got someone to teach you now :)

Each skill has to be learned. She was playing dress up at the age you were climbing trees it's nothing to be ashamed of. If you don't want to be shown up by your sister look it up on YouTube.

flockz 19

you probably have less girly things that you're better at. don't worry about it.

Let her teach you! You'll look good and it's nice sister bonding :)