By Anonymous - 09/06/2016 23:37 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I came home to my wife packing a bag. We had been fighting recently and I understood why she was leaving, but then I noticed she wasn't packing her stuff. She explained that I was the one who was leaving, she was just packing my bag. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 677
You deserved it 2 262

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who's house is it? If it's your name on the mortgage, there's no way she can do that.

ExtremeEncounter 32

Nice assumption #7. Or, MAYBE, they were simply stating a fact, that if OP's name happens to be on it then he can't be kicked out? But that would make too much sense, now wouldn't it.

Comments

Call the cops. it doesn't matter if your name is on the mortgage. you can not kick someone of where they will without an eviction notice. wife, son, mom. legally you can't do that.

Yes...you can. That only applies to apartments or houses being rented. That's like saying I let a family member stay at my house for a week or two, and then they trash the place, but I can't kick them out now because they've been living there. Shit doesn't work like that. The only way it would not be acceptable is if OP's name is on the mortgage/is the owner of the house.

#55 Actually in Canada, that is the way it works. A person's name doesn't have to be on the title for the house in order for them to legally be allowed to stay there, and another person is NOT allowed to kick them out. It just has to be the person's primary residence and have at least some documentation that they live there and contribute to the household. Especially if they're married, if you live with your spouse, it doesn't matter if only 1 name is on the house, legally, it still belongs to both of you since you're married, and one spouse is committing an unlawful act if they kick their spouse out and don't allow then access to their property.

ezrajab 22

If the house is under your name she goes. Eff that

This is why I'm never getting married. You're basically at the mercy of your spouse.

if you end up following the popular advice here, you'll end up with a sequel to 'The War of the Roses'. Good luck, these things are always tough. I hope you won't go to war with each other though.

Hey, at least she was being considerate

If you understand why she is leaving did you cause this? Either way you should deffinately talk to her she can't excpect you to just leave and immediatley find somewhere to live.

By law if your mail is going to your house (which I'm sure it is) and your name is on the lease or if you own the house together she can't kick you out. Or so I've heard

Got me ****** up thinking I would leave.

An angry Canadian? I've never heard of that before.

If she doesn't want to be in the same living space with you, she should be the one who is leaving.