By fired - 17/09/2013 04:36 - United States - Barnesville

Today, I called work crying, telling them that I wouldn't be able to go to work tomorrow due to my grandmother's sudden and tragic death. After hanging up, I walked into the midnight release of Grand Theft Auto 5. I had no idea my boss was also an avid gamer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 082
You deserved it 99 042

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Allornone 35

Most people have played hooky from work at some point, but you never EVER use a family member's death as an excuse. That's just horrible. Ydi

Come on, especially he should understand the magic of GTA V

Comments

What happens when grandma really does pass? Are you going to call in like "yea it seems she liked dying so much she came back to do it again "

Reminds me of a story a math teacher told me about a student who couldn't keep track of his lies. When the student was explaining why he didn't have his project done on time, he had to point out to the dumb ass that this was the third time his grandmother supposedly died.

Maybe his grandmother had already passed away before all this. That could be one reason why he's doesn't feel guilty about using her death as an excuse.

I was actually thinking about that too 186. Just because he said it was "sudden" doesn't necessarily mean that it happened recently. Maybe a while back,she...could've had a heart attack, causing her death to technically be sudden. Doesn't mean that he made it up...I don't know. In no way am I justifying his excuse; I'm just saying there's another way of looking at this.

Midnight Releases are extremely Pathetic. It's just a game, it's not like you needed it right at midnight.

I've been to a midnight release, at the time I was going to bed later than that most nights anyway and it was a 20 minute walk away, so it's not like I lost anything.

Midnight releases usually have some rare stuff you won't get typically. I went to the midnight release of a few Harry Potter books and it was a lot of fun. However, unlike midnight premiers of movies and books, a lot of the game ones I have been to didn't have the same fun feel, it was mostly just tired, bored people waiting for their game so they could leave.

at the midnight releases for the gamestop I go to, they usually have a couple flat screen tvs hooked up to consoles playing whatever game is being released. For mortal combat, they had a tournament beforehand. Also, there is usually free pizza and a DJ, so its a very enjoyable experience, not just standing around.

I live in a really "ghetto" area, where they pretty much just hand you the game and tell you to GTFO. One year, when I went, people got mugged in the parking lot for their games. I almost got mugged, but my boyfriend drove up to the curb outside the store and I ran to the car. I just wait a few weeks and order it, or if I don't have to have it right away, wait a year and get it for cheap.

RpiesSPIES 27

Midnight releases are awesome because you can potentially make new friends, get awesome stuff (like a free edition upgrade for your game, shirt, poster), and they help fight anxiousness to fall asleep so they can buy the game in the morning. Not to mention burning out (not fully) on the game for 3h before going to sleep.

Yeah, and you can also pre-order online and get an upgrade or promo.

Especially at this time of year, I just don't understand the stigma of standing outside some store until midnight for a game I could just as easily drive to in a day or two and pick up a copy anyway. And if they're out, I'm in no rush, I'll get a rain check.

You couldn't just suck it up and still go to work the next day like everyone else?

For real! I know a friend who got it at midnight, played for hours, and still made it to work on time at 9 am.

@ #175. Humans are so weak anymore. Who cares if you go to work tired? Nut/Ovary up and deal.

davek 36

YDI, and apart from it being not very nice, you can't use that excuse too many times. Did your boss also pull a sickie today?

Doesn't that mean your boss was also skipping work?

The game cames out at midnight, so not necessarily.

Well I guess I just thought that OP was supposed to be working a night shift at the time since he said he called work and then immediately went to get it. Maybe by "work", he meant "boss". I don't know.

Now I wonder how many times your grandmother has died for your stupid, lame excuse. You're a pathetic excuse for an employee.

jasmine2301 25

Pretty pathetic. When I read this FML I thought epic troll grandma was going to strike. Shame on you.

fatalwish 6

backfired huh? feel like a douchebag now huh? yeah.. hope so.

Don't you have annual leave you could have used instead? Shame on you OP, that's truly awful.

monnanon 13

if op didnt put a day off in in advance or if too many other people were off the same day then they would not be able to use annual leave.

Plus, if from the States... No annual leave usually.

monnanon 13

tis ok 49 i do payroll so this kind of stuff is embedded in my brain. it is different for every business and country though but i have not heard of one that allows you to take holidays on the spur of the moment.

But the release date was announced some time ago, he could have requested the day off in advance.

monnanon 13

i am guessing from the fml he didnt which is why i put if.

How can you even say that jokingly? I love a good video game just as much as the next person but the game isn't going anywhere. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that GTA V is probably a little like GTA 1,2,3, and 4.

Emily062611 6

No, it really is quite like the others. There are a few differences, but as he did not say they're identical, I think he's right.

It really isn't. But think what you will.