By Katthebamf - 18/08/2013 23:33 - United Kingdom - York

Today, I broke into tears at work after being told my aunt had a stroke. My boss told me to "suck it up, no one is that close to their aunt." My aunt adopted me when my mother passed away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 912
You deserved it 2 460

Katthebamf tells us more.

Thanks for all the supportive comments. When I explained to him the situation he apologised and sent me home. I reported him to my senior manager and he has since received a warning for inappropriate behavior. My aunt is doing really well now, they caught it early and they say she will make a 100% recovery. She's talking again as well, but she will have to stay in hospital for a while for monitoring. Reading all the comments made me feel a lot better as well, thank you!

Top comments

AnOriginalName 19

And your boss is an asshole. Here's to hoping your aunt has a great recovery.

That was very inconsiderate of him and pretty dumb to just assume! A lot of people are close to their aunt.

Comments

Sorry op!! Even though I haven't adopted my nieces we are extremely close so he has no idea! I hope your aunt makes a full recovery :) best of luck.

Your boss must be a legitimate asshole if he judges you for being sad when a loved one dies.

gentrysu 10

She had a stroke! She didn't die.

hcollins1 18

How did you get that the aunt died out of getting a stoke?

First I hope you're aunt is recovering well. Second his is the saddest FML I've ever read. Third you have a very heartless person as a boss. Honestly I thing I would have crushed his face

You must not've been on FML very long if this is the saddest post you've read.

Sorry for your loss OP, your boss is a complete asshole. He can't assume that you don't have a good relationship with relatives just because he might not. I hope you set him straight. I hope your aunt has quick recovery.

HR issue? I would have just left work, if he would have tried anything I would contact anyone above him. Sorry to hear OP!

gentrysu 10

I hope she has a full recovery. Sadly, the asshole to nice person ratio in this world is incredibly high.

Hope your aunt is alright. Good luck to you!

sorry to hear op, your boss is a total dick and should feel shitty about themselves. I hope your Aunt recovers well!

I originally came onto this site for laughs (and some posts did amuse me) but until then I never knew how many inconsiderate assholes there were, like this person's boss.

Sorry OP... May her soul rest in peace...

She had a stroke. She didn't necessarily die.