By Katthebamf - 18/08/2013 23:33 - United Kingdom - York

Today, I broke into tears at work after being told my aunt had a stroke. My boss told me to "suck it up, no one is that close to their aunt." My aunt adopted me when my mother passed away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 912
You deserved it 2 460

Katthebamf tells us more.

Thanks for all the supportive comments. When I explained to him the situation he apologised and sent me home. I reported him to my senior manager and he has since received a warning for inappropriate behavior. My aunt is doing really well now, they caught it early and they say she will make a 100% recovery. She's talking again as well, but she will have to stay in hospital for a while for monitoring. Reading all the comments made me feel a lot better as well, thank you!

Top comments

AnOriginalName 19

And your boss is an asshole. Here's to hoping your aunt has a great recovery.

That was very inconsiderate of him and pretty dumb to just assume! A lot of people are close to their aunt.

Comments

My moms aunt and uncle took her in when her mother kind of gave her up. FYL, but im glad shes doing better.

I would have told him that so that he knows not to be an I sensitive asshole. My uncle passed away and I was close to him. What's it to anyone else who you are close to and whom you love. Maybe file a complaint against him. Or ask to speak to him privately and tell him you didn't appreciate his comment and that you would totally suck it up but you loved your aunt like a mother and he needs to be more sensitive. Watch him back peddle like a mofo. Sorry about your loss.

72, look a few comments above -- OP reported her boss and he got a warning for what he said. Also, her aunt didn't die, she is recovering.

emmybabe987 10

your boss is a jerk :-| i hope your aunt recovers

XxWormFoodxX 14

Your boss is the biggest **** on earth

Your boss is a douche. I hope your aunt gets better. Stay strong!

best wishes for a speedy recovery for your aunt. time to look for new employment tho because your boss is beyond inconsiderate.

you should show that insensitive, self righteous prick all these comments.