By FuckPollen - 08/07/2015 11:01 - United Kingdom - Hartlepool

Today, I attended a work interview. My hay fever has been flaring up during the hot weather, causing my throat to swell up and make me short of breath, which I explained. The woman interviewing me told me I was unsuccessful, as customers wouldn't be able to understand someone with my 'disability'. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 930
You deserved it 1 906

Same thing different taste

Top comments

She seems like the one with a mental disability.

Wow, what a bitch. Down grading disabled people and she was too stuck up to listen to your explanation. You deserve better.

Comments

Did you just explain? That would have at least helped clear things up.

OP specifically states in the FML that she did in fact explain it was her allergies. The interviewer was just really that dumb.

dragoongirl90 34

Report her to the Americans with Disabilities Association. It doesn't matter if you don't actually have one, she clearly broke the law by saying that. She violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

That's awful, and it's discrimination towards people with disabilities. So inappropriate and wrong.

YDI If you have that level of allergy and are not taking medication to control it, then it makes no sense for them to hire you. You have to deal with the public and your customers don't want to deal with staff who are so sick they can barely talk. The fact that it's seasonal is just proof that they made the right decision. I would have used the word limitation rather than disability but I would not have hired you either.

I take 3 different antihistamines, eye drops and a nasal spray. My hay fever still cannot be controlled some days. Medicine isn't magic.

So 23 if you were my prospective employer all I have to do to get the job would be cough a few times? You wouldn't want to be a prick now would you...

I couldn't give 2 flying ***** if you were green with purple spots as long as you could do the job advertised correctly and be a nice person to staff and customers. You're just as much of a douche as that other guy.

It's against the law for that employer to take into account potential "disability," because it is discrimination. You should take her to court

Not if the disabiilty is keeping the person to do the job properly. You wouldn't hire a guy in a wheelchair as a mover would you?

#26 is right: the standard in the US is whether they could do the job with reasonable accommodation (reasonable accommodation being a fuzzy standard, so there is some room for dispute). However, discriminating against someone for a medical reason that would not reasonably interfere with the job is a no-no. Unless OP's hayfever is so chronic and unresponsive to medicine that she realistically could not do the job, this would definitely be problematic in the US. OP being in the UK, I am unsure exactly what the official standard is.

SquirrellyGirl 20

That's not fair. Not to mention illegal(at least in America, I don't know if other places have laws against that too)

just because you heard something is illegal doesn't make it so. legal jargon usually has room for interpretation. either way, if you have to deal with the public and youarntt able to be understood, then it's your bad, not the employers. think about it like this. a person who has a thick accent and possibly couldnt be understood wouldnt be discriminated on against theirnationality. if you would be a good fit, go back and ask fit a second interview.

Take a step in my shoes interviewer...then you will know I am fit for the job

Or you should take a step in the interviewer's shoes and ask yourself if you would hire someone who can't speak clearly/properly in a job which involves interacting with customers. While there are most likely other applicants who don't have any such issues.