Empathy

By Anonymous - 20/09/2021 17:00

Today, at a funeral, I'd told my autistic son it would be over at 11:30. By 11:33 he was loudly complaining the funeral should be over, and could we leave because he was bored. I had to drag him out, still loudly complaining about the time, while 50 relatives glared absolute daggers at us. FML
I agree, your life sucks 987
You deserved it 354

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tricia 8

I know how you feel, I have a non-verbal 11 year old autistic son. I love him to death, but sometimes it’s really hard.

Comments

Jon Tessler 14

while your son may have a disability, you deserve it for lying to him

Ambrily 27

How was the parent supposed to know the funeral would have lasted 3 minutes longer than what they thought?

He probably wants to get back to his painting or sculpting or whatever he normally does. Sometimes creatives can be pretty insistent on their passions.

tricia 8

I know how you feel, I have a non-verbal 11 year old autistic son. I love him to death, but sometimes it’s really hard.

I'm so sorry you went through that ordeal. Has he ever complained before about timing?

sometimes with autistic children it's better to divert their attention away from the time or simply let them know there is no definite time it will be done when it is over.

This one is on you. You know your kid is autistic. So you know that means he needs concrete information and direction. If you told him 11:30, follow through, or tell him you don't know how long it will take. Don't give him a time frame and then back out on it and blame that on him. You did that.

Lucky O'Guin 18

Cannot like this enough! If you told him 11:30, you should have left at 11:30. Or made other arrangements for him. Or not given him an exact time, because you should know how your kid is going to react when you don't follow your words with your actions.

YDI for telling an autistic kid there was a definite end time and not letting him find another activity after.