By Anonymous - 14/04/2013 14:22 - United States - Big Lake

Today, I asked my grandmother to hem my prom dress for me. I'm her oldest granddaughter so I thought she'd be happy to do it. She said no. Her occupation is a seamstress. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 251
You deserved it 7 996

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nattynatters 14

Some people feel used when family asks them for free labor. Maybe you should have offered to do something nice in return?

rahulcool7 14

I don't think it is that common to know how to hem a dress.

Comments

It's usually best to not have family or friends work for you, anyhow. If they screw it up it leads to hard feelings or ruined relationships.

softkitty77 6

I wish my grandchildren were not gone so I could spend time with them doing things together like that and teach them what I know.

I'm in the market for an awesome Grandma. Just sayin!

rampersaud 10

Can you not do it yourself? Or ask someone else?

perdix 29

"The cobbler's children have no shoes." Sewing is her ******* job, what makes you think she wants to do it for fun on her free time?

Agreed. Plus, as someone who can sew with a mother who can sew, it gets tiring to hear EVERYONE ask you to hem their pants. Take the prom dress to her work and pay her like everyone else, or learn to sew. A straight stitch isn't rocket science.

I agree, while I sure can't sew well enough to make a dress, I do sew well enough to make basic repairs & alterations. It's not difficult, just take it slow and do a basic stitch. Hell, youtube it! There are so many resources available these days! The internet is good for more that just social/ertertainement purposes! Sometimes I wonder if it is a lack of willingness to learn rather than being taught for some people. No one held your hand so now its their fault? I was never taught, but I learned! If it is a ball gown style, hemming will be easy since you have all the layers to hide an oops (the fish net looking fluff doesn't even need stitching, just cut it). The tighter the fit, the more precise you need to be in keeping the hem straight.

Make her feel like she does an awesome job, that way she would get all hyped up and agree to it.

What does being the oldest have to do with anything is my only question?

I assume OP means its the first time she was asked to help a Grandchild with a Prom dress. I'm guessing OP assumed her Grandma would have been honored to have been asked to work on her dress..

I see your point 35 but I think her wedding or graduation night be even more special

Tell her that she's the best in the whole wide world ,and maybe she will offer.

Pstraka6 20

I hear ya, you think your grandmother would love to do that! Maybe she thought you were in a sense using her. I say maybe go see her again and show your appreciation for her!

It's prom season, she is a professional seamstress. She is probably too busy to do yours for free.

Why do grandchildren automatically assume that we want to do things for them? We have lives, too! Hire someone to do it for you!

Some Grandparents love to do everything/anything they can for their Grandchildren. That's the Grandma I'm going to be one day..

Good family members generally want to help out their family members when something is important to them. OP isn't unreasonable to hope that her grandmother would help her out.

Inciter 33

I guess maybe she thought her grandma would be able to do it for free. My grandma hemmed my uniforms when I was in middle school and early high school. Sometimes grandparents enjoy doing things for their grandchildren.