By Anonymous - 14/04/2013 14:22 - United States - Big Lake

Today, I asked my grandmother to hem my prom dress for me. I'm her oldest granddaughter so I thought she'd be happy to do it. She said no. Her occupation is a seamstress. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 252
You deserved it 7 997

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nattynatters 14

Some people feel used when family asks them for free labor. Maybe you should have offered to do something nice in return?

rahulcool7 14

I don't think it is that common to know how to hem a dress.

Comments

I do understand that it's your grandmother's job and you were expecting her to say yes, but you can't just assume that she'd be happy to do it. Sewing can end up giving you very sore fingers if you do it for a while. Let her take a break, ask again another day.

I see people all of the time who think they are asking but in reality are telling. Telling someone " I need you to do this". Isnt asking

What is the relationship between of your grandmother career with your request?

Well you know what they say about assuming.

graphicstyle7 17

Did you offer to pay her since that is her JOB? Or did you just assume it's a freebie since you are related?

mintypoison 22

People don't like doing things for free, even for family. Being a seamstress is a really, really hard job. Maybe she had too much for herself already with clients and couldn't take your request. If you asked her to show you, I'm willing to bet that she would be more than happy to do that. Hemming anything really isn't that difficult depending on what you're working on...

Sorry, Granny's only obligation in life is to love and support you. Not hem your prom dress, make you cookies or wipe your ass. You being the "oldest" granddaughter doesn't mean diddly-squat. Maybe if you offered her money to do it, seeing as it's how she makes a living is what you should've done. My grandpa tells me I'm his favorite granddaughter all the time but when I ask him for things, he sure as hell makes me work for it in return lol

Seriously everybody? Do none of you guys have a family that just does things for each other without having to get something in return? I understand that nobody wants to do their job for free, but for your own flesh and blood is something else. Obviously if your Grandmother is busy or it isn't a good time for her is one thing, but offering to pay almost seems insulting to someone as close as a Grandmother.

126 - No, it is not "something else". Flesh and blood does not equal obligation. Plus, there's a difference between doing little favours for family and doing your JOB for no pay.

Understandable. I work in an IT department, that doesn't mean I like fixing computers for relatives.

As a seamstress myself, I have to say you deserve it. Even the wording of this FML is dripping with entitlement. The way you ended it with "her occupation is a seamstress" makes it sound like you think that makes her obligated to sew for you. Absolutely not the case, even for "small" projects like this (though, as others have pointed out, hemming formal dresses is not as simple as other hemming projects). Another good point many before have made is that most people don't want to use their off-hours to do more of what the do for a living. I have never done free work for anyone unless *I* offer it. Like, there have been times when my sister has come to me asking "how much" on a simple mending or even taking something in, and I will tell her "Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it for you". It's not the request, OP, it is the attitude. When you ask for free work, you give the impression of "You do a bunch of sewing anyway, so one more thing shouldn't be a big deal." When you at least offer to pay, the message comes across more as "I am aware that you do this for a living, and I do not want to take advantage of you or your abilities". It's about respect, OP. Sounds like you lack it.

oh oh you forgot that she's the oldest granddaughter. that means dear ole granny should WANT to do it and actually be HAPPY to do it.