By Ido - 14/06/2016 00:51 - United States - Satellite Beach

Today, I announced my engagement on social media. I got more people telling me how stupid I was than any actually congratulating me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 290
You deserved it 3 118

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm pretty sure there's something you aren't telling us for that to be the case.

Definitely think there is more to this story...

Comments

There is definitely more to this story. Either: You're too young. Trying to fix your relationship problems by getting married. One of you is abusive. One or both of you cheated.

My money is on it being an abusive relationship. or he is a chronic cheater. Ill pretend its the first.

Maybe there's a reason they said that

If you're looking for a sign this is it!!! If you can't wait a few more years to get married then you probably shouldn't get married. I don't know if it's you or your intended but there's something you can't see that everyone else can.

Age doesn't matter so much as if you are with someone who mistreats you. Something your family sees that you don't. Otherwise forget them OP. If all is well, and you have gotten to know each other long enough, get married. Jealous haters will jealously hate. Be happy so they can stay mad.

Axel5238 29

Unfortunately age does matter to an extent. Normally, a 25 year old does not have the same priorities, worries or emotional stability of a 35 year old. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but there is usually a fairly sizable gap between the two. If either 1 is too young, not emotionally stable regardless of age or just unfit to be in a committed relationship it could horrendous especially once they are legally married and getting out of it is very hard.

She did post the news on social media so keep in mind that her friends and family may know this guy personally and the way he treats her. But also people on the internet might also know this guy and how he behaves and what personality he may have. But instead of insulting OP they should give her a clear warning about why she should not marry that guy instead of calling her and her decision stupid. There could be many reasons but I hope it doesn't turn out that the guy is a cheater or maybe he's still married. Who knows. But best wishes to OP.

It might not have anything to do with the guy, for all we know they're still teens or they haven't been dating long. We don't know what the story is and I doubt OP will follow up. Obviously there's more to the story but speculating won't give us an answer and giving advice for a problem when we don't really know what's the problem isn't helpful.

This is definitely possible. Acquaintance on my FB just announced his third engagement in the last three or so years to a completely new girl. He's 23. He just had his first newborn son a year ago with his wife, who he is still married to and who is still referring to him as "husband" and writing gushy statuses about on FB. When someone asked him what was going on, he said it was "difficult to explain." Yes, I am very close to calling him stupid, and so are plenty of people.