By Anonymous - 03/06/2019 00:02

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend in front of about 75 people in the fanciest restaurant in town. She told me she was already engaged, while holding up her right hand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 231
You deserved it 570

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Right hand? Engagement and wedding bands usually go on the left hand. Something tells me she just pulled this stunt to get out of a public proposal. Not that I blame her. Public proposals are tacky and they're often used as a way to unnecessarily pressure the recipient into saying 'yes'.

I would never propose publicly, it really puts the other person on the spot. plus I would never propose to anyone unless I was absolutely certain I was going to get a yes. ydi

Comments

If it’s any solace she revealed herself to be a cheater in front of 75 people so as much as it hurts at least she practically called herself out

Right hand? Engagement and wedding bands usually go on the left hand. Something tells me she just pulled this stunt to get out of a public proposal. Not that I blame her. Public proposals are tacky and they're often used as a way to unnecessarily pressure the recipient into saying 'yes'.

RamblingDreamer 7

It depends on the country. In some places the rings are worn on the right, not the left.

bloopaloop 27

True, but that makes the op even more dumb!

Wadlaen 23

That depends. In case OP is not american, he could be right, because here in Norway, engagement- and wedding rings are worn on the right hand...

I know a few lefties that wear their bands on the right hand because they find it uncomfortable to have the band rubbing against things they're working with. My dad is one of those people.

My husband proposed to me in public and I thought it was exciting....but I love surprises so I guess it depends on the person. It was at Top Golf and he got down on one knee just before I took my swing. Also it's on YouTube lol

I would never propose publicly, it really puts the other person on the spot. plus I would never propose to anyone unless I was absolutely certain I was going to get a yes. ydi

julfunky 29

I was ready to press YDI, until the closer. No one deserves a two-timing partner. But for future reference, do not propose publicly without discussing it beforehand. It’s more uncomfortable than it is romantic.

You’re a pretty dedicated side piece.

I think if I was proposed to publicly, and I did not want to accept, I would say yes to preserve the guy's ego but tell him "no" later, when no longer in public.

This is a public place. Sort of. So will you marry me?

WeirdUS 29

Not sure which is worse. Most know surprise proposals infront of strangers don't go well. To say yes though only to say no? That's false hope and even worse than outright refusal.

Well, better that than saying "yes" and then keeping the ring. I hope you made her split the bill.

I put YDI just because you never propose publicly.

Mungolikecandy 19

To start with proposing publicly is a horrible thing as it puts pressure on the other side to say yes even if they do not want to (although not in this case).

Shouldn't her "engagement ring" be on the left hand???

In some countries it is worn on the right hand