By smartgirl - 01/05/2009 23:48 - Canada

Today, at the awards ceremony at my school, I ended up winning the top achievement award in my grade. The principal spent at least ten minutes talking about my success to the audience, the whole time referring to me as a "he" as I stood right next to him. I'm a girl. FML
I agree, your life sucks 83 544
You deserved it 5 479

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you need a different haircut and start praying for them boobs to pop up.

fretforyerlatte 0

and no one bothered to correct him either? that's harsh.

Comments

This happened in high school also to someone in a grade older than mine.

curryndricegirll 0

Just because the principle said "he" does not mean that the OP looked like a boy. It just means that the principal didn't really pay enough attention to see if she was a girl or not. But really you won an award and you're complaining about the principal calling you a he? Not FML-worthy.

abouttofly 12

To me, the FML here isn't that the student got called a boy, but that the principal, obviously not knowing the student's gender, reverted to a default of "he". Because of course women aren't going to win top achievement awards.

abouttofly 12

Also, don't listen to #19 and his ilk. I'm a straight man and I think women with more masculine features can be very attractive.

it was probably a prepaired speach he has been doing for years and when he was giving you the award he just had a slip of the tounge

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bifauxnen ^^^ TV Tropes delivers.

fcuk_mylife 0

I have the opposite happen to me all the time. I'm a boy and people call me a girl.

#45 I find it far more likely he reverted to the default of "he" because it's the DEFAULT! It may be that is it the default because people used to consider women unworthy of pronouns, but the fact that it is still the default today doesn't make reverting to it chauvinistic.