By hating labels - 23/10/2012 08:21 - Australia

Today, at breakfast, my sister labelled me a "feminist." My whole family now refuses to talk to me for more than 30 seconds, and acts as though I have an incurable, highly contagious disease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 922
You deserved it 5 478

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should frame a giant copy of the 19th amendment, just to freak them out.

Comments

Modern feminisme is ridiculous we have equal rights. If anything modern feminism aim to make women have more rights than men.

The_F3rris 11

Do you live in a dark hole under a rock?

hazardmuffin 21

Equal rights? Are you kidding me? In the United States at least, women still get paid less than men. Women are still dealing with sexual discrimination in rape cases. Did you know a man recently had his rape conviction overturned because the woman he raped was "incapable of saying no and therefore couldn't NOT consent." The woman was a nearly completely paralyzed, mentally handicapped woman with the mind of a three-year old. Feminism isn't just about rights. It's also about treatment. I've seen men become angry to near the point of violence because a complete stranger did not want to talk to him when he started throwing sexual comments her way. I don't know where you live, but I think you should take a good hard look at the world around you.

Well, are you a feminist? Still op, you don't deserve to be treated that way by your own family.

YDi if your a feminist. Can't stand that kind of scummy woman.

hazardmuffin 21

Uh, there is a HUGE difference between true feminists and those who I'd call "feminazis." I suggest you do a little research and learn the difference before you make assumptions about people. Despite the name, feminism is not a women's rights movement. It's an EQUAL rights movement. Anyone, man or woman, can be a feminist. The only reason women's rights have been and are at the forefront is that women's rights are below those of men. Crazy people who strive for more then equal rights are NOT feminists.

Women's rights aren't below that of men, stop making shit up. Unless you live in a third world country, that's not the case. Women are payed the same as men, the so called "inequality" comes from comparing the incomes of men & women on the whole (ie. comparing different occupations which are obviously going to be payed differently). The feminist movement is about amassing privilege for women, such as free birth control payed for by the state, favoritism in cases of domestic violence, & abortion.

hazardmuffin 21

What makes you think pay inequality is due to comparing unequal occupations? I'm honestly curious. Can you cite any sources? As I understand it, the big deal is that women are, on average, being paid less than men for the same exact job. Of course comparing different jobs isn't going to be accurate, but that's not what's happening. Feminism is also a matter of treatment. I don't condone favoritism. Anyone who does is not a feminist. I think it's just a tricky situation sometimes. There are obviously some issues with the system. It's just a matter of what we do about it.

hazardmuffin 21

I'm not "making shit up" anymore than you are. My opinions come from the facts I've heard and the evidence shown to me. I'm sure yours come from the same. Clearly we differ in opinion, so I'd simply like to know what information you based your opinion off of so that I might better formulate my own.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-28246928/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/ This link (as well as the Washington government link it provides) explains why the suppossed "wage gap", which is so often cited as a grievance by feminist organizations, is a lie. And whether you don't personally condone the favoritism of females doesn't mean that feminist organizations don't. It's the goals, & accomplishments of feminist organizations, as well as their effects on society, which is judged.

hazardmuffin 21

Cool, thanks, I'll look into that. :) And in regards to the feminist organizations you mentioned, my main point is that if their beliefs and goals aren't feminist, then the group is not feminist, regardless of what they're calling themselves. I'm not trying to justify their behavior or say that "feminists believe X, therefore anyone calling themselves feminist believe X." It's unfortunate that the spirit of feminism is so often turned to elitism.

hazardmuffin 21

It's sad that so many crazy people have made "feminism" into something it's not. Feminism is about EQUAL rights for ALL genders. Anyone, male or female, can be a feminist. Wanting equal pay for women is feminist. Wanting equal health care is feminist. Wanting women to be able to do all of the jobs that men do without facing ridicule is feminist. Wanting MEN to be able to dress and do things considered "for girls" without ridicule is feminist. The street goes both ways. Women who believe that they are above men or that men are evil, in essence, "feminazis," are NOT feminists and give true feminists a bad name.

yenidewi 11

what's wrong with a feminist ? I don't get it.

Sonotsuave 35

And why the hell did they all just suddenly go with it? Feminism is not like effing chicken pox here it doesn't spread like wildfire lol. Sounds like you have too many male idiots in your fam

Pensu 12

Wow, you have a truly ignorant family OP. Try not to let them get you down.